leachcj

Atmosphere between my lenses are ruining my videos!

I have a Mini-DV HD Video camera and I'm using a Sony wide angle lens which screws on the front.

I have no problem with the video until I get into freefall and as the jump goes on it gets worst.

The result is a blurded circle of mist/condensation which once under canopy slowly goes.

Very anoying, please help ;)

Had the same problem your describing. I tried catcrap but it didn't work for me. I found out that the problem was caused by humid air being trapped between the lenses. When the wide angle lens got cooled down by low temperatures and wind the air would condense and form a blurry ring in the picture that would gradually grow larger.

The solution i use is to mount the wide angle lens inside a place with cold dry air. I usually use my fridge. I leave both parts in for about a minute, and then i mount them together while still holding them inside the fridge. Never had any problems after i started doing this.

You might want to try it. It's easy and it's for free ;)

Couple of other tips that used to work for me apart from the tape:

1.Take you cam out of the AC early in the day so it gets "warmed up" to the humidity and heat before you take it up.

2. Dont sit next to the door if people keep it open during the ride to altitude.

Keeping the camera warm will help prevent fogging when you freefall into warmer temps around 6 grand. What you are trying to do keep warm is the air between the cam and the wide angle.

If it gets cold, from AC all night or cool air from an open ac door, its like taking a cold beer out of the fridge...it condenses in your warm hand.

Let us know if these tips work!