dldproductions

Top mount Vs. Side mount

Hey guys!
I’m curious to read your point of you on this one, please bare with me on the spelling mistakes since English is my second language…

Last year I got set with a Fuzion helmet with a side mounted Dbox (Cx100) and a powershot G12 mounted on my forehead on a custom plate.

I was working part time as a videographer and I had the same comment coming a few time last year. “Why don’t you set up your video camera on your top plate?” People were telling me that it would create a more weight balanced set up thus reducing the chances of neck injuries or neck pain after busy days… It kinda made sense so during off season I bought another Zkull mount and added it to my setup so I can now choose between top mount or side mount. I haven’t jumped it yet (Home DZ opens tomorrow), but one things kinda makes me worry.

Despite the fact that it does feel more comfortable when wearing the helmet, I feel that having the video cam on the top (further away from my neck) makes my head “center of gravity” much higher creating a lever effect. So when tilting my head forward, it feels heavier than side mounted. Am I wrong to think that this lever effect makes the whole thing more prone to whiplash injuries on opening?

I’m still pretty new in the camera world so thanks for your advice…

Olivier

People were telling me that it would create a more weight balanced set up thus reducing the chances of neck injuries or neck pain after busy days…

I feel that having the video cam on the top (further away from my neck) makes my head “center of gravity” much higher creating a lever effect

You, and those people, are both right. Each way has pros and cons, and you have outlined them clearly in your post. I will say that with a camera as light as a CX100, the weight being on the side or on the top should be of little difference.

It really comes down to the 'worst case scenario'. if you should have a slammer of an opening, and your head is turned the wrong way, the weight on the side will be a disadvantage. If your head is straight but looking up or down, the weight on the top will be the disadvanatge. Nobody knows when that will happen or your exact head positionm, so the weight issue is a wash.

You could also look at camera protection, but again, you come up with a wash. Side mount is more exposed to risers strikes on deployment, and top mount is more exposed to dinging the door frame on climbout. Pick your poison.

Overall, you have a huge advantage in that your cameras are small and light, so some of the 'common knowledge' about cameras and where to mount them isn't so common anymore. Try it both ways and see what you like better, either way is just as good (or bad) as the other.

I'll give you a short answer. First, yes, I totally believe ins getting everything up top, and credit doing so on my own helmet with reducing the wear and tear on my neck dramatically.

Secondly, the most injury prone time of opening is the very end of the opening, when the canopy fully (and sometimes suddenly) inflates. At this stage in the opening, you are usually no longer belly to Earth, and instead your torso has already become mostly vertical (feet to Earth). At this point, any sudden deceleration will make that weight on top of your head compress your spine rather than lever it or bend it. On the other hand, any weight that is not centered inline with your spine (whether front-mounted or side-mounted), will act as a lever, pulling your neck out of line in one direction or the other, and causing injury.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor and do no even play one on TV.

Overall, you have a huge advantage in that your cameras are small and light,

Having a light system is one of my main consideration since I have a bad neck from too much hard landings in my mogul skiing career...

So I'm just trying to find the best setup with the lowest possible stress on my neck.... (and the best chiropractor in town)..

Thanks for the reply!

I have made it a habit to get my head back as far as I can and rest my helmet on the yoke of my rig on opening. I have had some big slammers and the weight was very well supported. This won't work on every rig as the yoke height may vary, but it works for me.

To each his/her own, however my medical background has me siding against this posture for openings. Take a look at this picture and the location of some major arteries here: http://radiopaedia.org/images/14095.Neck extension injuries have been known to damage these vessels when they stretch and tear.

I've treated several patients who've had this from both whiplash and leaning their head back for washing at the beauty salon: http://ezinearticles.com/?Beauty-Salon-Sinks&id=304309.

To say nothing of the skeletal structures that can be severely and permanently damaged: http://radiographics.rsna.org/content/25/5/1239.full.

Just a word of caution.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I have made it a habit to get my head back as far as I can and rest my helmet on the yoke of my rig on opening. I have had some big slammers and the weight was very well supported. This won't work on every rig as the yoke height may vary, but it works for me.

To each his/her own, however my medical background has me siding against this posture for openings. Take a look at this picture and the location of some major arteries here: http://radiopaedia.org/images/14095.Neck extension injuries have been known to damage these vessels when they stretch and tear.

I've treated several patients who've had this from both whiplash and leaning their head back for washing at the beauty salon: http://ezinearticles.com/?Beauty-Salon-Sinks&id=304309.

To say nothing of the skeletal structures that can be severely and permanently damaged: http://radiographics.rsna.org/content/25/5/1239.full.

Just a word of caution.

First I've ever heard of anyone holding their head BACKWARDS vs holding from chin impact. Some use a neck roll to prevent the chin from striking their chest. This is the direction of forces anyway.
Lori, if you're holding backwards and the weight shifted...that's a lot more than a beauty salon...

DSE, my word of caution was for Openingshok's post. I would never hold or want my head to go backwards, thus my post. A cervical spine has flexibility but if my neck was to be forced by a hard opening I would want the fault direction to be compression down and second, forward.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I also prefer topmount.

I used to feel my neck slightly after days with 8-10 jumps when i had my HC39 sidemounted.

I currently jump a heavier setup ( HC5 + Eos350D) mounted on top and I do not have the neck feelings these days. ...

A disadvantage of this top mounted system is getting out of a Cessna 206 with a rolling door. Once you're out it's all good. and on larger aircraft this issue is non existent
Another big disadvantage of the topmount is the fact you can't see your canopy as well if you have a twist : it sometimes has taken some guesswork to know what way to kick it out

A big disadvantage of the side mount was that i kept "ramming" my camera on my risers when i was looking around under canopy ... ( I am fairly slim so my risers are close to eachother, doesn't leave a lot of spare headroom)
--------

www.youtube.com/l0013