IMGR2

Converting DVD to MPEG or AVI?

Here is my predicament. I have some very old VHS tapes that I burned onto DVD.
Now I have the DVD and I am trying to convert them so I can post them on the web.

My problem is that I have tried about 3 different converters and when I convert from DVD to MPEG or AVI I have what I am guessing is horrible interlacing. I think that is what it is.
The video final product comes out with these little white dots outlining all the objects in the video.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Most DVD rippers have a deinterlace filter somewhere.

However, "little white dots" aren't a deinterlace issue. They're either noise in the original VHS or a software glitch being introduced by the DVD ripper.

You really shouldn't be ripping to AVI at this point. AVI is not as efficient or good as Mpeg 4.

My suggestion is to download the HandBrake software. It's open source, very good and free.
http://handbrake.fr/
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You really shouldn't be ripping to AVI at this point. AVI is not as efficient or good as Mpeg 4.

An avi, like a mov, is just a container. An avi can contain an MPEG4 stream. :P Think of an avi like a brown paper sack; it can contain a number of codecs and metadata information.

If your content is on a DVD, it's likely already MPG2, and you may as well keep in in that format. It's not as much as a rip as it is a file Xfer. The .vob (Video OBject file should contain audio and video from the DVD.
Some apps, like Premiere, Vegas, Edius can all edit that file natively.
Quade is correct; white "dots" aren't interlacing issues, they're something else. Could be an encoding issue, could be a decoding issue, could be garbage from a damaged/scratched DVD.
I second the nomination for Handbrake.
If you want to burn the content back to a DVD, keep it MPEG2. If you want to put it on the web via YouTube, put it into an MP4 container and YouTube will convert that to Flash.

I second the nomination for Handbrake.

But DSE, surely you know that Handbrake infringes on the h264 patents, which may not be a problem in the free world, but makes it illegal to use in the US? You're a valiant protector of Copyright law - are Patents not as important?

... ok, sorry about the massive troll. Use Handbrake, it rocks. Screw software patents. Pray for VP8.

An avi, like a mov, is just a container. An avi can contain an MPEG4 stream. Think of an avi like a brown paper sack; it can contain a number of codecs and metadata information.

That's pretty nice of you...to bad this wasn't a debate forum.

I'm sure you're aware of all the garbage info building up and floating around internet video forums...It's no wonder people are still confused.

...but oh well, I suppose it's for the best.

$$$;)
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...