swoopfly

about the cx100

hey

I am using a metal ring on my cx100 to attach the lens. I don't know why sony decided that plastic would be good material for threading. I was wondering if anyone has thought about (or has), sealed the adapter ring into the threading?? I was thinking instead of wearing the plastic threading out, if you could just seal the ring into the threading it could stay on permanently. So it would just be screwing into the metal ring instead of the plastic threading. I just dont know if this would be a good idea or how to go about it,...any ideas?

hey

I am using a metal ring on my cx100 to attach the lens. I don't know why sony decided that plastic would be good material for threading. I was wondering if anyone has thought about (or has), sealed the adapter ring into the threading?? I was thinking instead of wearing the plastic threading out, if you could just seal the ring into the threading it could stay on permanently. So it would just be screwing into the metal ring instead of the plastic threading. I just dont know if this would be a good idea or how to go about it,...any ideas?

If you permanently attach the ring to the camera, what do you do when the ring is bent in a camera bag, or when a riser strike tears the lens from the aluminum ring, or...
Plastic gives way.
It's cheaper to make the camera with plastic, and given that the CX100 is a very casual use camera, it's not all that tough. To a large extent, that works well for skydiving safety.

[reply
If you permanently attach the ring to the camera, what do you do when the ring is bent in a camera bag,

its an aluminum ring, while it could be possible to bend i dont think it is highly likely from just being in a bag.

or when a riser strike tears the lens from the aluminum ring, or...

on my setup my camera case actually clamps down on the lens itself. so it is not just sitting with the threads holding it in place.( the case itself protects the lens body)

Plastic gives way.
It's cheaper to make the camera with plastic, and given that the CX100 is a very casual use camera, it's not all that tough. To a large extent, that works well for skydiving safety.

the problem i am finding with the plastic threading, Is when metal ring and plastic threading screw together. The plastic slowly wears away. So every time you put the lens on, it wears the plastic threading just a little more. So the idea is if you sealed the metal ring in. you would be be only screwing the metal lens into a metal ring and not eventually wearing the plastic into an unusable threading.

I would much rather have the plastic and the lens get ripped off by a riser which i have done before . I have only lost one lens and my camera was not damaged at all just slap another lens on it and go. If i had glued a metal ring to it it would have surely torn up something besides!
Just my 2 cents :)

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

I had my CX100/baby death resting on a desktop and something got set on top of it, breaking the silver plastic threaded piece on the camera (with the BD, the front of the camera rests ~.25 inches off the ground). After a great deal of (very) careful sealing/bonding/gluing/clamping, my baby death is now permanently fixed to my CX100.

I wish I had documented the process for sharing purposes, but the way I "rebuilt" it should I ever have some riser slap or a collision, that entire piece of plastic will break off, lens and adapter ring and all.

Actually, I would venture to argue that even with metal step-up rings, this is the worst damage the CX100 could suffer (if it's in a good box) in these situations because of how it is built. However I believe whoever made the argument for plastic step-up rings has made the strongest point... it'd be nice to be able to just screw a back-up on and keep going.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Ya mine fell from less than 2ft, but on to concrete. My century .5 rolled away with the lens mount attached to it. Fortunately nothing else happened to the camera or lens. I'm definitely happy I bought sony's accidental damage warranty, they are fixing it. Not sure if a plastic step up ring would have saved it though. It didn't even seem to hit that hard.
Here is a pic of the aftermath...