skyrider

A Flyable 3D Camera

Waayyyyyyyyyyyyy out of my price range, BUT small enough to fly , no problem!
Shooting in 3D has traditionally required a complex, bulky and fragile rig using two cameras and additional hardware to calibrate and adjust them. Panasonic's straight-forwardly-named Twin-lens Full HD 3D camcorder looks to radically change the 3D game, with integrated lenses and dual memory card slots allowing you to capture 3D footage immediately, with just one device.

The camcorder records onto inexpensive SDHC/SD memory cards, thankfully abandoning the P2 system used for its concept 3D camera, and the outrageously expensive P2 memory cards along with it.

While it's far cheaper than building your own 3D rig, the SRP of US$21,000 means we're not likely to see the next breakout indie film in 3D, but given the drop in price (and jump in video capabilities) between Canon's 5D Mark II and subsequent 7D, who knows what'll happen over the next couple of years.

The Twin-lens Full HD 3D camcorder will be available in Q4 2010, and Panasonic plans to release a 3D Full HD LCD monitor for use in the field, and a digital mixer for live 3D broadcasting shortly after.

http://www.gizmag.com/panasonic-twin-lens-full-hd-3d-camcorder/13739/

Eric Drenen has been flying 3D set ups for quite a while now, he's an excellent resource to talk to if any one is interested in 3D video for skydiving. Its a lot more complicated then I thought it would be.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

There was a gentleman shooting with this 3D lens during the holiday boogie and posting pictures in the hanger for viewing. It still requires that you use glasses to view the images but considering that the price for the lens is in the neighborhood of $100 and fits on just about any camera, it isn't too bad. The images are 3D when viewed with the glasses but I found it more of a novelty than something that I think will catch on or be worth the effort required in post to view the images. Still, it is pretty neat.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

the 3D 'lens in a cap' is a fun toy, and the post-processing required can be easily done by creating an action, only requiring a single press of the 'play' button to turn the images into more common anaglyph (red/cyan or red/green) 3D images.
The images that come from the lens are also viewable without any glasses by looking at them cross-eyed. Though sadly you do loose about half the resolution, because of the images being alligned side by side in one frame.

Though for proper 3D images, the moving focal point and aim of the camera is something that needs to be adjusted on a per shot basis, if you want to fully optimize the paralax/depth you can create in the image (next to also giving the viewer less eye-strain/headaches)

For those looking to play with 3D, the 'Nu View' system is much more interesting to look at, as its also has convergence control (allowing variable focal distances, instead of one set 'infinity') and it shoots true 3D (shutter based), and places the left/right eye images on the odd/even fields. Instantly watchable with shutter glasses, but also not to hard to convert to anaglyph 3D for web/dvd sale.

We're done some visual effects for 3D films now, which is even more fun to do (as well as more headaches:P).

With 3D becoming more and more common, and more 3D TV channels and television sets becoming available. I think we will see more and more affordable '3d lenses' hit the market the coming months/year..

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?