wwelbon

Nikon D5000

Hey,

Sorry for another still camera thread, but I am looking into getting a dSLR camera for Christmas, to use for both jumping and ground use. The two cameras I am looking at are the Nikon d5000 and the Cannon T1i. I really like the D5000, but I haven't heard of anyone using it for jumping. It is compatible with the MC-DC2 Remote, which is the same wired remote the d90 uses. Anyone know if the MC-DC2 can be spliced to the conceptus switch like you can with the MC-DC1? It is only 2 ounces heavier so weight isn't much of a factor. Any reason this camera would not work for skydiving? What do you all think?

Thanks,
Will

The nikon D5000 isn't going to work for skydiving as it doesn't have a remote option (you can check stuff like that out on sites like dpreview.com). The best nikons for skydiving are D70S/D80/D90/D200/D300/D700. Most of the other consumer and pro-sumer Nikons can be adapted to work wireless but that is a pain in the %^&* and not something I'd consider doing anymore, not after the D70S came out (which is still a good choice for a budget-minded skydiver).

If you want a midrange to pro-sumer range DSLR for skydiving, both Canon and Nikon have suitable models. If however you want a cheap, lightweight DSLR for skydiving, Canon's your only sensible choice. I haven't kept up with the latest Canon consumer models but if it has a wired remote option (that's a MUST) and preferable has it's own motor in the body and no image stabilisation, it'll probably work fine for skydiving.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Thanks for the reply!

I was confused about that because it does not have the MC-DC2 listed under remoter control in the specs. But I talked to B&H and nikon, and they both said that the d5000 is compatible with the MC-DC2. I'm not sure why they don't list it as an option. Also how important is having the af motor in the body? I know the d5000 doesn't have it, but i am not sure about the T1i.

Will

But I talked to B&H and nikon, and they both said that the d5000 is compatible with the MC-DC2

I very much doubt the D5000 has a wired remote option.

how important is having the af motor in the body?

That's pretty basic: if you want to buy a good lens for skydiving, that would generally be a fixed lens (the sigma 15mm 2.8 and the nikon 16mm 2.8 are excellent jumping lenses), most fixed lenses do not have a built-in AF motor, so no AF when used with say a D5000.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The Nikon D5000 actually DOES HAVE a remote connection! It uses the same plug as the D90.
The cheaper model the D3000 uses wireless (infrared) remote.
I can make an adapter for a regular 2.5mm switch (please PM to me if you're interested).
But the Canon T1i is still a better option. (and then you don't even need an extra piece for your switch).

Thanks! I will definitely be interested in one if I go with the nikon.

As for the af motor
From what I can find online, it seems, only the higher-end Nikons have motors. So not all lenses for nikons have the motor built in. And with the Canon's non of them have a motor built in. So all of the lenses built for Canons, that have autofocus, have it built into the lens. Is this right? Also it seems most of the new lenses have the AF built in.

Also other than the switch, I know the T1i looks good on paper, but the Nikon seems to do better in the tests. Would you say the canon is just better for skydiving, or overall?

Thanks,
Will

Jumping a consumer type Canon is easier than a pro-sumer Canon or any of the Nikons, because of the remote plug. The cheaper Canons have a simple stereo plug, which most switches come with, standard. If you want to jump anything else (any Nikon, or the pro-sumer type canons), chances are you'll have to buy a specific remote and do some soldering yourself (or get the remotes from say Laszlo ;)).

Basically, for a new cameraflyer if you're not already 'set' into a brand, the choice between canon or nikon is a matter of personal taste, with the lightweight canons being the easiest option.

The D5000 sounds like a nice (lichtweight!) jumpable camera, if you buy say a Nikon 10.5mm or 16mm for jumping you won't need AF anyway.

The lens you use is generally more important than the body you use anyway. Also if you're interested in other types of photography take a look at what the necessary lenses will cost you, there may be a big difference between the 2 brands depending. Nikon has an awesome wireless flash system for instance, while the canon is more compatible with older and off-brand lenses.

Once you'll buy some good lenses and a good flash you're more or less stuck in the brand, so better be sure :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

can anyone post a picture, or a link for the Nikon D5000???

what is the cost??

i am VERY happy with the D 70S and the D200
:)though, the remote port , on the D 70S CAN be troublesome at times...[:/]
the d200 has threads for the remote plug -in wire.. which is far superior to the port on the 70S....

how does the Port on the D90 ??? compare???? is it like the ones which i see on my cameras??
Laci????
Saskia??

jt