Scooter1812

Serious Question - Advice Needed

I have an Invertigo X helmet with a HDR-CX12 camera, works great but want to do stills as well. I don't want to mount the video camera on the side (too wide). So I'm looking at the "Vapour Narrow" or the Bonehead Narrow. They are both a lot of money so I would like advice from you guys on which one is better. I don't want to waste hundreds of dollars by picking the wrong one.

Can I get your honest opinion on which is best, or a recommendation of another helmet this style.

Thanks guys..

Blue skies....

Biggest thing... you'll want the extra room of the Pro, don't get the narrow. Getting the narrow limits your mounting options dramatically. It basically forces you into front mounting the stills and top mounting the video. The Pro lets you mount side by side, much nicer on the neck!
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

When I started video, I used a friends bonehead flat top narrow, and now I use a vapor narrow. Both have the same general build in that it has a top mount and a front mount (video on top, still camera mounted upside down on front). I personally don't recommend the bonehead. The fit is kind of tight, and the part on the back that swings outward to close is too high. It kind of pushes the top back part of your head towards the chin. I like the vapor much more because it feels like the back piece is lower, so it feels like it cups your head like a typical non-video helmet does. The vapor is much more comfortable, in my opinion, than the bonehead.
When it comes to the camera setups... I personally use a TRV22. The only thing I'd make sure to do with your CX12, is to make sure that it's mounted close enough to the front of the helmet so that it doesn't capture any of the helmet or still camera lens in frame. I'm not sure what the system is called, but vapor sells the piece that goes onto your helmet, and you pull the ring and the camera slides off. That's definitely a nice thing to have, so you don't have to take out the padding and unscrew your camera every time you want to take it off.
I love my vapor narrow, much more than the bonehead. I've actually been in freefall, and felt a bonehead loosen up on me. If anybody you know has one of the helmets, see about jumping it, or at least trying it on to see how if fits. Thats my 2 cents.

If you are going to mount both video and stills, I think you are much better off putting both on top rather than one on the front like you woud have to do on a "narrow" model. That being the case, I wouldn't get either "narrow" version, and instead would get the full sized helmets.

Of these, the Vapor offers the most width for putting two cameras on top. And personally, I prefer the Vapor as far as fit (for my head) comfort, and accessibility. When you take the top-plate off the Vapor, everything is accessible. I just did work on a fellow videot's FTP, and the sub-shell inside (as best as I can describe it), makes wiring and working on the helmet more complicated than necessary. With the Vapor, remove four screws, and the entire plate lifts off, making it very easy to work on, modify, etc.

Just my too sense...

I'll echo Phree and Phil, get a wes pro from skysystems or a flat top pro from bonehead. I started with a narrow (bonehead) and grew to hate it with the still in front. I regretted not spending the extra $50 up front and getting the pro. I finally broke down and sold the narrow and bought a pro. You will eventually get the larger helmet anyway, might as well do it now:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

How do you find the Bone Head Mantle for comfort and fit?

Great in both areas. I took a lot of care to follow the instructions on shimming it and then baking the liner like they suggest. (IMO this is a great asset as it really forms to your head.) I use it 10-15 or more times a weekend now and love it. Like the FTP you have to remove the liner to install everything, but once your done, you'll likely never have to remove it again. I've setup two of them now and find it to be a great platform for what it's used for. Plenty of room for everything and it's all nice and neat.

Thank you very much!! I'm going to order the Mantle. Sorry for all the dumb questions but I didn't want to fork out that much money without expert advice.

So thanks to everyone for helping me out. Skydivers are great people, thanks again!!

Blue Skies

Scott

Hey Scott,

When you get it and start working on it or if you have any questions, let me know and I'll do what I can to help ya out remotely.

Thanks,
BK

I've got a Vapor PRO, and my tip to you is to mount stills and vid as far back as possible. How far back? Mount the widest lenses you've got for both stills and vid, and see how far back you can place them without getting any helmet in the frame, Mark the place and voila! Use a quick mount solution for the video cam so it won't stick right on the carbon plate. The little elevation will also help you place the camera further back. Off course...don't mount it so far back that both sticks out in the back ;)

It's already been mentioned why it's a good idea to have vid/stills mounted backwards. Another aspect about that during my deployment the helmet with stills and vid actually wants to go backwards, not front and stretching the neck. I hardly need to use any force to put it backwards. :)

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

... and see how far back you can place them without getting any helmet in the frame...

Good tips, but I would be cautious about mounting the video camera that far back using this method. Particularly if the camera has any form of image stabilization. What looks fine on the ground in a static test, might introduce edges of your helmet when IS kicks in during freefall.

Plus don't forget to check your (freefall) footage on a PC screen not just on a TV screen as I find a lot of cameramen do. A PC shows quite a bit more frame than a TV so if you edit linear and your clients watch your DVD on a pc there can be nasty surprises if you didn't check. Plus it is REALLY annoying for anyone having to edit your footage on a pc if stuff shows :S
Can you tell I never have to deal with this.....? :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Plus don't forget to check your (freefall) footage on a PC screen not just on a TV screen as I find a lot of cameramen do. A PC shows quite a bit more frame than a TV so if you edit linear and your clients watch your DVD on a pc there can be nasty surprises if you didn't check. Plus it is REALLY annoying for anyone having to edit your footage on a pc if stuff shows :S
Can you tell I never have to deal with this.....? :P

Flip side to this is that you can merely set your TV to underscan, or have your NLE display on the external monitor with underscan.

There are just as many (if not more) issues editing preview on a computer screen (in SD particularly) than on an external monitor.
If you're shooting, editing, delivering in HD, you essentially only have the choice of external computer screen.
709 vs 601 vs 625...frame rate issues, lots of reasons to know exactly what you're doing with what gear. If you're just editing tandem vids...it doesn't matter if the color is off or if you're overblacked. But if you're doing anything that is remotely used for "pro" work, intentionality, delivery mechanism, ATSC requirements... all define exactly what you're previewing upon.

My CX12 lets me turn off the stabilization, and I think the results are better. The BH Mantle is on order so I can't wait to get it and install all the goodies on this new helmet. The Nvertigo for video only served me well, I hope I like the new helmet!

Thanks again guys for all the help!

Blue Skies..

Scott