aerialcameraman

what camcorder are you jumping

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that with 10 threads on or about the CX100 that is the current camcorder that people are using...

and to put it another way...

in march/april I showed up at the dz with my brand new CX100... to show it off to our dzo... and others around... and I believe about half the video flyers are now or are in the process of transitioning to it...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Sony HC-Series Cameras. Great quality, and they are cheap. I just bought a third one on ebay for $30, and it works flawlessly for skydiving. I have a functioning camera with two backups, all of which work on my DZ's dubbing system, and I haven' spent $200 on all of them together..... and I LOVE taking the slots of the video guys that have a camera mal and no backup because they spent all their $$ on the nicer cameras. In fact, one video guy had a CX-7 and sold it to do the same thing.

That being said, if I had the money I'd get a CX100 :S

It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

cx100 if you are not doing tandems or dont have the skills/computer to edit with it for tandems. other downside is no firewire to your pals

hc-5 if u need an all around camera with good hd quality but it wont break your bank. better freefly than hc 7/9 cx 7/12

hc 20/30/40/50 if u want to cheap reliable in standard SD
dont let life pass you by

I'm still jumping a Sony PC-105. You can get them for under $200 if you can find one on eBay.

Tempting to get a CX-100 but the learning curve in HD video editing is holding me back. One of these days I suppose...........
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

What is the deal that its not good for tandems. Does this camera have a lanc port and a firewir
e

The cx100 has neither a lanc or FireWire and it can be used for tandem videos... I've been using it to shoot tandem videos most of the season... It does require that you use a powerful computer if you expect to shoot in hd...

What is the deal that its not good for tandems. Does this camera have a lanc port and a firewir
e

It doesn't have firewire and lanc, as both of those are tied to tape and this is a memory-card camera. However instead of lanc you use the video port (buy a hype-eye) and instead of firewire you need a computer (or memory card if you shot on the internal drive) to copy videofiles for friends.

No remote is possible so debriefing and editing for tandemvids and the like are more easily done on a computer, but you can use slow-mo using the touchscreen if you have to.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

What is the biggest card you can buy for it and how many videos on average can you get it to do

A quick search turned up 16 GB MSPD cards at amazon... which should hold about 2 hrs at the highest resolution HD setting on the camera (it will hold more at lower settings (in HD and SD) it also has 8 GB of internal memory... which can be useful if you accidently get on the plane without putting a card in the camera... but I wouldn't know anything about that... :$

and fwiw there is a lengthy discussion about this camera in the thread directly below this one (at least at the time I posted this message)

Also a quick scan of bonehead's website doesn't show a box for the camera... and I haven't heard of anything from bonehead... cookie composites appears to have one and i've heard of one from RAWA as well...

I have a flat top pro that has everything on it so the only thing I need right know is a new box and the hypre pro. What is the cost of the tonfly box and where do i get one? And The lady that does all the editing at the DZ has a brand new laptop PC and she uses both microsoft's editing software and she does have the new vegas. Will the microsofts editting software do the edit on this camera? What will a 2g and 4g stick hold in video wise?

Um, you could try do a search on here, read a few CX100/15 threads yourself instead of keeping asking us to do all the work for you..?

What she said... and btw... a 2gb card will hold half what a 4 gb card will hold which will hold half what an 8 gb card will hold which in turn will hold half what a 16 gb card will hold and as I said at the highest resolution a 16gb card should hold about 2 hours of video...

Can you do the math for me? I haven't had my coffee yet...

Not without my HP graphing calc which is in a desk drawer on the other side of the office... and i don't feel like rolling my desk chair the three feet to get there... despite the fact that I'll probably go to the fridge in a few minutes to put the bottle of juice back... No... I won't!!! :P:D

... it also has 8 GB of internal memory... which can be useful if you accidently get on the plane without putting a card in the camera...

Can you transfer from the internal memory to the flash card for download? Seems that would be necessary if you were using NLE due to the absence of the ieee connection.

... it also has 8 GB of internal memory... which can be useful if you accidently get on the plane without putting a card in the camera...

Can you transfer from the internal memory to the flash card for download? Seems that would be necessary if you were using NLE due to the absence of the ieee connection.

Yes you can... but can't transfer from the card to the internal memory... it's also possible to transfer from the camera to a computer directly via a USB connection.

Scott