brentcair

cx 100 editing

No only do you not lose the HD but you also lose all the advantages of memory card based recording. The beauty of the memory card is that you can have a fully edited DVD done before the footage is even done capturing off a Firewire based camera. The transfer time for a 7 minute tandem video is about 35 seconds and then you are editing, about this time the other person has just started their interview and you are already adding the custom name to their video and doing the last of the edits and pressing the Render button.

You can use the RCA cables out but you are going to lose the ability to use a remote for slowmo or really even the ability to do clean crossfades with out digging though the camera alot during the filming process.

Your real options are to do a computer based edit since more and more camera's are dropping Firewire or to have the video flyer get another camera that works better with a analog board. I'd go the computer route since it allows you to still use Firewire instead of the RCA cables and at the rate that firewire based cameras are no longer being made you are looking at having to go to a computer at some point.

Here is a data point to consider - this weekend we had 2 editors working on 2-3 computers that put out over 125 videos with stills and every single student walked out with their DVD and CD of stills in hand. Most of us were using CX100's and the DVD's were burned in 6 minutes after starting on it, those on the Firewire needed about 15. If we were all using an edit board it never would have happened. Eventually to get the speed you are going to need nonlinear and memory stick cameras.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Plug it in via the component cables and go. You can still play the footage in real time so that a linear editing station will work. However, the final product will be worse than with MiniDV. But it's doable without having to add equipment if you can accept the limitations.

Plug it in via the component cables and go. You can still play the footage in real time so that a linear editing station will work. However, the final product will be worse than with MiniDV. But it's doable without having to add equipment if you can accept the limitations.

I don't know of any linear editing boards at DZs that have component inputs. But regardless, if your DZ uses linear boards, the CX100 sounds like a poor choice. I work at just such a DZ, and for that reason haven't gotten one (although I would love the weight savings).

You can use a composite cable and still have significantly better quality than a DV cam offers using that same component cable. Contrast, saturation are both better, even over crappy composite.
For composite out, the CX100 is no more a poor choice than a Hi8 without 1394 or a DV camera using composite.

For the OP, you'll treat the CX just like any other camera. As Phree mentions, you lose the majority of benefits of tapeless/filebased features, but in the end, the CX is still a camera, still offers real-time playback, and still offers a great picture. The main benefits are quality, speed and easy archiving, all of which are lost when you use linear editing systems.

I would only add that you also lose the in camera fades such as overlap and wipe and there doesn't seem to be any provision for a remote.

On the plus side, I sport jumped mine last week in horrible, overcast lighting and the color saturation and contrast were amazing!(Meaning that skintones and reds and yellows weren't completely lost) I also had it set on infinity and it managed to show both the subject and the small water drops in focus with the Raynox lens. All of this was over the "crappy composite" cable to an older HD TV. (Not sure if it is plasma or LCD) I can't wait to move to 'puter editing so I can use it for work!
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

...You can use the RCA cables out but you are going to lose the ability to use a remote for slowmo or really even the ability to do clean crossfades with out digging though the camera alot during the filming process...

Where do you find a remote for the cx100?

Where are the crossfade functions on the camera?

I just got one of these beauties and I can't find reference to any of these things you mention, and wish I could!
Danger Doug
www.dangerdoug.com

If you shoot in SD WMM 2.0 has given me exceptionally better output results than Premier CS4. WMM is also wonderfully fast to edit in, there are times I miss certain effects or transitions but since I have started using WMM 2.0 instead of Premier I am happier, faster, and have a better product quality for my students.

Now this only goes for editing tandems, of course. For your YE video or the like you gotta think about something else - and - Premier CS4 has vastly stronger conversion options for FLVs or other formats. But I've found for mass tandem video editing I am very happy with WMM considering the "price."

Hi, I'm new to the CX100 and currently using old-school, analog editing. I'm interested in using my MAC to edit soon though, so now I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to do this. My question regarding the last post is this, is WMM 2.0 the file format when shooting in SD? and is it easier to find software to edit it, compared to the HD?
Danger Doug
www.dangerdoug.com

Vegas Movie Studio 9 certainly does work very well for AVCHD from the CX100, and for the SD MPEG files as well.
Adobe Premiere CS4 with the update does a good job, Canopus Edius is very good as well.
SpeedEdit from NewTek is very good tool too.
If you're not able to get Vegas Movie Studio to work, then you've either installed it wrong, are using a pirate version, or have a very, very old PC. In the event of the latter, _nothing_ will run AVCHD very well.

fwiw: I have had problems with rendering into AVCHD from AVCHD using Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 recently...

Basically VMS9 would shut down after rendering a fairly minimal ammount (10%) and I don't exactly have a low end system (AMD Phenom Quad Core with 64bit OS, and 6 GB of RAM)

I sent an email to Sony Creative Software and they suggested that I render to MPEG-2 instead of AVCHD MPEG-4... which I thought was kind of a cop out of a response (they did suggest it was a memory/processor problem... and offered advice to change how many threads are used to process, among other things...) but it didn't help a whole lot...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Rendering to AVCHD MPEG 4 is a HUGE task that many systems cannot manage. If you're running most anti-virus, forget it; it'll never happen. MPEG 2 in HD resolutions is a higher quality format, requires less proc time (in some cases, the proc has allowances for MPEG 2 decode/encode), etc.
Did you change your rendering threads? (CTRL/SHIFT while loading Prefs?)
And you got "little change" in the end result? Are you running anti-virus?

fwiw: I have had problems with rendering into AVCHD from AVCHD using Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 recently...

Basically VMS9 would shut down after rendering a fairly minimal ammount (10%) and I don't exactly have a low end system (AMD Phenom Quad Core with 64bit OS, and 6 GB of RAM)

I had a similar problem when rendering some video with VMS9. It turned out to be one of the audio tracks (the one with only freefall noise..) that caused the crash. After muting that track it the worked like a charm.

I guess no software is ever bug free. (=

Did you change your rendering threads? (CTRL/SHIFT while loading Prefs?)
And you got "little change" in the end result? Are you running anti-virus?

I did change my rendering threads (although I followed the instructions that the Email tech suggested to change the number of rendering threads...)

I do have AVG installed (antivirus) and will disable it next time I try to render in AVCHD Mpeg 4... although I need to figure out how to re-enable it (i.e. find where the program is installed) in lieu of restarting afterwards due to this bit of strange behavior... at least until I figure out how to fix that problem... gotta love software/hardware.

out of curiosity how powerful of a system are we talking about... considering that my system is butting up against windows Vista performance measures at the moment... and I would imagine exceed them substantially in reality?

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...