rndyroth

Edit in imovie 09 or Vegas Pro Vasst w/Templates

I have imovie '09 and have edited a few videos on it. the way I have it figured, for a 12 minute movie it'll take about 9 minutes to download from the camera, time to edit, 36 minutes to render and publish to media browser and 24 minutes to cut the first DVD in iDVD. It makes a pretty movie, but I want to do it MUCH faster.

Can Vegas Pro with Vasst templates cut that time down much? I'll buy it if it'll speed up the process.

36 minutes to render and publish to media browser and 24 minutes to cut the first DVD in iDVD.

I'd buy a new computer first :S
Then shoot-to-edit and learn to edit quickly (ie, practice it a LOT). These 2 will save you loads of time.
A 8 minute tandem video takes me 20-30 minutes from dubbing to finished DVD. 30 only if I'm taking my time. This is on a budget quadcore pc.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I'm using a new MacBook Pro. Those are the times for iMovie 09 just to import, render and burn... It's not counting my slow editing.

I have a 2 year old laptop PC that meets the minimum requirements for Vegas Pro. I'm just trying to figure out if Vegas Pro would be significantly faster. If so, I'd probably switch.

thanks!

I have a nice new laptop with 4 gb ram, a decent graphics card and a decent dualcore processor, cheaper than a macbook pro but way way faster than what you quote, those times are not acceptable to me at all (even when i'm not in a rush LOL). A quadcore pc is a better (faster and cheaper option) but if you need portable, a USD1000-1500 laptop with Premiere or Vegas will serve your needs better than that macbook pro. Weird though, I'd have expected it to be quicker, but don't have much experience (eh, none LOL) editing on a Mac. Exactly what format are you burning to what? HDV to DVD? SD tot DVD (what I'm doing)?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

You're on a mac then? That's comparable to my times, and more along the lines of what I'd expect from a fast editer using a decent computer, so rndyroth is probably doing something different from you?

no... I don't do mac... :$ the time will probably be longer on a mac... but if its an intel then he could install windows and use vegas to speed up his process... :D

the more people I can convince to stop drinking the koolaid the better... :D

I'm kidding I really don't have a problem with people using Macs... but it's not as if DSE hasn't said more then once that even he uses an intel based mac running windows so he can use Sony Vegas... because apple has chosen to NOT support Sony AVCHD...

Now capturing in SD I wouldn't imagine there would be a huge difference in processing times on a Intel based Mac versus a similarly configured Laptop PC...

The software shouldn't be the limiting factor in this sort of thing... processing speed of lots of data is limited by the processing speed of the computer itself not so much by the program used to process it...

I more or less posted because it gives another example of how long it can take... even without using VAAST's things...

ultimately Vegas Movie Studio PT Ed is more then enough program to do what he wants in a efficient manner...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

What if I installed a copy of windows on my mac and strictly used it for importing video. Could I import the AVCHD footage, convert it to AVI or something and then go back to OSX and edit in Premier? Without losing a lot of time? The reason why I ask is I can't afford to buy another piece of editing software. If I did do that, what is the way to import and convert in Windows these days, using cheap or free software?
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

What if I installed a copy of windows on my mac and strictly used it for importing video. Could I import the AVCHD footage, convert it to AVI or something and then go back to OSX and edit in Premier? Without losing a lot of time? The reason why I ask is I can't afford to buy another piece of editing software. If I did do that, what is the way to import and convert in Windows these days, using cheap or free software?

I thought Premier did work in AVCHD natively... (even in the Mac version.) and if you have the master collections you should be able to use Encore to burn DVDs...

the more people I can convince to stop drinking the koolaid the better... :D

I'm kidding I really don't have a problem with people using Macs... but it's not as if DSE hasn't said more then once that even he uses an intel based mac running windows so he can use Sony Vegas... because apple has chosen to NOT support Sony AVCHD...

I think the issue is Vegas vs. iMovie and iDVD, FCE etc. I have Vegas Movie studio on my very old home PC. When dealing with SD video it's fast and render times are zippy. On the Mac, in both iMovie and FCE it's the render times that have been killing me. But the final product is VERY nice when using their iDVD templates. I'm assuming that all of the additional eye candy is what's increasing the render times.
As for the Mac vs. PC issue, I'm a newbie Mac owner and a Mac beats the crap out of a PC most of the time. I've even had my macbook running Windows more stably that my PC can. Unfortunately, HD video seems to necessitate that I use Windows. I'm leaning towards Macbook using Bootcamp for Windows(XP Pro)/Vegas. We're moving to the Vegas Pro/VASST template workflow at the DZ so that seems to make sense for compatibility reasons.

The impression that I have gotten is that it transcodes it to it's own codec. However, it has been stated that Premier is the fastest option in OSX. I will definitely have to use Dynamic Link to jump between premier and encore without any intermediate rendering. I should be picking up a CX-100 very soon. Flock and Dock will be the test footage.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

As for the Mac vs. PC issue, I'm a newbie Mac owner and a Mac beats the crap out of a PC most of the time. I've even had my macbook running Windows more stably that my PC can.

Which is a testament to the hardware used to manufacture Macs... I'm not denying that Apple uses high quality hardware when they manufacture their computers. They certainly do... but I can go spend $2500-3000 in hardware and software on a PC laptop and the much the same quality... and suprisingly it will probably run Windows just about the same as it does on a Macbook Pro...

Which is a testament to the hardware used to manufacture Macs... I'm not denying that Apple uses high quality hardware when they manufacture their computers. They certainly do... but I can go spend $2500-3000 in hardware and software on a PC laptop and the much the same quality... and suprisingly it will probably run Windows just about the same as it does on a Macbook Pro...

True to a certain extent except that when I had Windows running stably on the Mac is was as a virtual OS (not a good idea for video editing however).
If you choose your more expensive PC option then you have to reformat the hard drive and install an older Windows OS before you can take advantage of the decent hardware. And you still won't have as solid an OS for day to day computing as you do with Leopard. Simply put, I want my computer to do what I want it to do. And the only solution I've found to date is to get one that will run both operating systems.

I'll admit I'm a bit biased at this point. I gave Microsoft about a decade and a half to come up with a good product. I used to enjoy geeking and tweaking. Now I just want my computer to work.
Sorry for the long, slightly off topic verbosity.
I'm an asshole and I approved this message:D

I'll admit I'm a bit biased at this point. I gave Microsoft about a decade and a half to come up with a good product. I used to enjoy geeking and tweaking. Now I just want my computer to work.

I guess I'm a fluke then because I haven't had any problems to speak of using the current version of windows... :|

I guess I'm a fluke then because I haven't had any problems to speak of using the current version of windows... :|

BEER!!!!!!!:D

Sorry, just having fun. Go with what works.

I'm new to this too and have only edited to a few movies on the MAC, but it's a highly qualified MacBook.

I am shooting video with one of the new Sony CX100's, importing that directly to iMovie (so I assume it's converting from AVCHD to the Mac format), editing in iMovie 09 and using iDVD to burn. I don't know the underlying technology.

If using a PC and Vegas Pro cuts down on the conversion time, thus my time to create that DVD, I'd go that direction.

12 minute movie it'll take about 9 minutes to download from the camera

Ah, I took that to mean you shoot tape and shoot 9 minutes thereby ending up with a 12 minute tandemvideo, or something like that. 9 minutes to copy 12 minutes? Might as well shoot tape at that transferspeed :S You need a faster card and/or a faster cardreader for sure. But if you shoot AVCHD and need fast render times, get a pc not a Mac :P And get a GOOD one (NOT a laptop with minimum specs). Apple and AVCHD don't go together very well apperantly. Plenty of stuff written about that here already, mostly by DSE.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Thre is no conversion time with Vegas. In fact, I often edit small things (like a skydive) directly from the card, as it saves me 30 seconds or so. Then I save the project with media, re-spending those 30 seconds. Just did that last night with several wingsuit skydives, because I only wanted the clouds, not people. Was easier to edit off the card.

Here's my system configuration with the MacBook:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

It should be fast enough.

Thanks for all of the info folks...

So, i guess my next decision point then is should I use a laptop that I have today that meets the minimum specs for Vegas Pro 8 or put Windows on my (much faster) Mac and dual boot?

I'm probably not going to go out and purchase another new laptop just for this unless its as a last resort. But tell me if I'm really at my last resort...