beagleluvr

anyone havin an error99 on a canon xti?

i just bought a one year old canon xti and every now and then when i take a picture,(sometimes often) a message will come up on the back saying there is err99 and you have to cut the camera off and back on or remove the battery and reinstall it.anyone having the same problem?this can ruin me if i am filming a first time aff or a tandem.:(>:(B|

It would appear that several cameras have had this problem.

Additional discussions/resources

Some have said it's lens compatibility, others have said it's dirty contacts.
Try other lenses?
Use an eraser on the contacts? (Be certain to not get eraser debris in your camera body).

I've had this from time to time, and can't say what the problem was, I upgraded rather than fight it, and keep the XTi as a backup.

In addition to what spot said . Try just removing and reattaching the lens. Dirty contacts or poor connection between body and lens will cause this type error if i remember correctly. Hope this helps :)

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

In skydiving, it is (or was) usually not lens compatibility or dirty contacts, but bad contacts (due to shaking? moisture? temperature differences? whatever). If you look back to posts about WT'04 we had problems with the 300D on exit, this camera seemed to (usually) work fine with 9k/12k exits from regular jumpplanes but as soon as we jumped a Herc even from 16k various canons error'ed out, I know Bruno Brokken solved it at the time by covering up the 300D in a plastic bag with lots of ducktape, then by selling it, as did I. Bruno upgraded to a 10D, I switched over to Nikon :S However some 10Ds were pretty bad too, later models only occasionally seem to give error99 (so may have other causes). The guy I sold my 300D to did tandems from 9k with it, from Porter/Cessna, never heard of any problems, while at 18k and up from a Herc it never got past one exit shot. So something about tailgates ar Hercs or higher exits it didn't like. Unreliable = gone B|

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I get error99 often on my 350D with a Sigma 15mm. However I never had a mal in freefall because of it. Before i put my helmet on in the plane I activate the camera without taking a photo. If there is no error99 I turn it off again, without taking a photo, very important. When I next turn the camera on again there will be no error99. I take one or two photos before I climb out and if I hold my hand on the lense and can feel camera taking the photo, often I can hear it too.
Try to switch your camera on many times without taking a photo. Mine seems only to get error99 when I activate it after it has taken photos.
This have saved me from jumping with error99 many times.

from my experience with a 40D, Err 99 is a general "something is wrong but I can't figure it out my self"-code. I had to turn it in for service since no contact cleaning, lens change or any other troubleshooting steps worked. The problem was a mal shutter, and it was replaced. The user manual on a 40D says only to check in at your local Canon store if Err 99 pops up, and they only said that they'll send it in for service =D
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no