rpolis

Camera Suit or Wings?

The way I see it, no one can have "all the answers about camera flying" before they even start doing it. Thats absurd IMO. We learn new things all the time. No one is born with all the answers. IMO asking advice about camera suit, does not necessarily mean the OP is not ready to start learning these things. Knowing everything and being ready to start learning are two different things.

I'm absolutely agree. No one was born as a camera guy, and everybody has to start somewhere.
But one thing is sure, filming tandems shouldn't be that starting point. Jumping along/with the tandems should be the result of a fairly long learning process,
the experinence should be gaind elsewhere.

IMO jumping in a student enviroment camera people should have a rating as well. They are part of the skydive just as much as the instructor, so the camera people should be just as much responsible.

>I am just getting into tandem photography and video and I am trying
>to decide whether or not I should use a camera suit or wings, or just my
>freefly suit.

Generally you'll see more speed changes than you see in 4-way. So if, when you film 4-way, you feel like you're in the middle of your range, stick to whatever you have and realize that you'll have to exceed that by a bit in both directions.

BAD move to claim BS against the post made by laszlo.... perhaps you ( mistakenly) believe that he is not qualified to offer advice...
THAT would be waaay wrong, pal...
way wrong...UnimpressedMad

of course judging by your profile,,, anyone who has made 4600 jumps in 6 years !!! must Know everything.....UnimpressedMad
and perhaps you do...CrazyCrazy

but by the tone of your post... it seems that you think that anyone can be a prodigy.....
rpolis simply does not yet Know enough, to realize what he doesn't know... ( no offense intended rpolis)
rhys's casual 'anyone can do anything ' attitude is a dangerous one, IMHO

jmy

The reccomendations that I said are the legal requirements in New Zealand.

That is how I learned, and have witnesses many others learn.

Within 8 months of my first jump I had 200 jumps and was jumping with tandems, after a year from my first jump I was a proffessional camera jumper, full time and my only income.

By the time I had been in the sport 2 and a half years I had over 2000 jumps and was earning $50k, still on fulltime camera. I gained a 96% grade tertiary education in commercial skydiving that my govornment granted me 50% of the fees. we learnd about all aspects of commercial skydiving in a university type setting.

I was 'full time' (5 days a week) jumping from my first jump gaining skills that would allow me to be a camera flyer. while the weather was bad we had lectures and examinations on various aspects of the industry and sport.

I am not trying to blow smoke up my own ass but trying to point out that the " 2 years and 500 jumps to jump with a tandem" attitude or rules, are not the case everywhere, and are simply holding back good quality skydivers.

You may be suprised that the reccomended and legal requirement of jump numbers for a tandem in New Zealand is 1000 jumps.

My 'anyone can do anything attitude' as you called it, still believes that 500 jumps is Far_Too_Little of an amount for tandems!

Skill, attitude and competence are not measured by a time frame or a jump number, they are witnessed by those that are qualified!

of course judging by your profile,,, anyone who has made 4600 jumps in 6 years !!! must Know everything.....UnimpressedMad

I was even accused of lying about my jump numbers in these forums, by a similar attitude that seemed to know nothing about anything other than what they are surrounded by.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix