guscabana

New Sony AVCHD HDR-CX100, CX105

The HypEye is the ONLY way this camera operates properly, for better or worse.
Yes, I've run it through the HypEye paces.
Camera has no on/off switch. Either you open the LCD panel and leave it open, or open and flip it so the panel is exposed. Otherwise, the camera turns off. The HypEye allows it to operate with the panel closed/protected.
Cookie also put one on one of his helmets, too, tested it out.
Additionally, the only way to get external audio into this camera is via the HypEye.
I have a CamEye adapter, and it does power up/off the camera with the cover closed, but the focus/zoom are easily out of whack. I don't know why...Mark might have some input on the "why."

since its sitting in your lap right now, can you answer the question I asked up thread a ways? Where is the tripod screw hole located in relation to the front of the camera? in the photos the plate attached the camera looked like it was significantly forward of the center.
thanks

I don't have a tape measure. It's forward of center, yes.
If you took a CX7 or CX12 and measured back from the flat/boxy portion of the body (prior to the rounded lens housing/casing) the thread holes on the CX100 are in the same exact location. So, you could say it's at the same place on the body, or you can say it's set back approx .5" from the end of the lens on a CX7/12.
Measuring forward from the battery housing, the threads are in the exact same location as the CX7/12 threads.
HTH

[edit to add-Rover, it's 1080i. Not fast enough for 1080p and keeping quality.

thanks, that is good enough for what I need. that means that if I mount it the same way I mount the CX7 the lens will move back on my helmet about 3/4 of an inch. I need to look at moving the mount point, or accept seeing the helmet in the bottom of the frame (not happening).

Additionally, the only way to get external audio into this camera is via the HypEye.

Does this mean that an external mic will be required to get any sound for skydiving purposes? or just that if an external mic is preferred, the HypEye will be required in order to enable the external mike to function?

I.E. - Can the camera record sound through it's on-board mic while the LCD is closed and while being controlled via the HypEye with no external mic?

Thanks.

The camera has an internal mic, it's decent (better than the CX12). You can control the system with the LCD closed via the HypEye. You need to open the panel, trigger the Hypeye, close the panel, so it's a bit of a PITA, but it's how all the new cameras work; no on/off switches.

Sonystyle.com says March 1st and $599!

Software

* Supplied Software : PMB Ver.4.2.00 Supports Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack4 (SP4), Windows XP Service Pack3 (SP3)(32bit) Windows Vista Service Pack1 (SP1)(32bit/64bit). Not supported by Mac OS.

Is this going to be an issue for us Mac guys? Or if we just download the raw footage off teh card to the Mac will it be ok??

Apple does not and likely never will, support AVCHD format at the native level. You'll have to convert it to ProRes, AIC, or other third-party codec.
Apple users will ALWAYS be significantly slower than PC users with MPEG-based consumer codecs.
I wish Apple would pull their heads out of their a$$es on this one.

Well..that sucks. Guess Ill have to convert it then. Is that a hard thing to do? I think this camera is lookn pretty sweet, except for that issue. I do have a normal pc for a home computer, but prefer my macbook for editing.

Where would I have to get this other format from to convert? Thanks for the info DSE....its greatly appreciated

Conversion options come with the Apple software or you can purchase third party tools as listed in the README file/thread above. Also, Xfers have to be done from the cradle/camera, not from a card. Don't know why, but that's how it is for Apple

...Guess Ill have to convert it then. Is that a hard thing to do?...

No. I know for Final Cut Studio, conversion is built in and happens automatically. You don't need to buy any other software, and you won't even notice it happening except for the speed of the conversion during ingest. Instead of "Log and Capture," you use "Log and Transfer." It may take a little longer than a native AVCHD program, but it edits it just fine without additional or third party software. Other than input speed, you won't even notice.

As far as memory cards versus cameras, I have been able to download files off of memory cards (or off of CD-ROMs that people have sent me) without a problem. The only thing is that you have to maintain the original file structure off of the card/camera. You can't go grab individual video clips from the card. (It's just some arcane PC formatting thing where it has to see specific paths to get the files.)

Again, AVCHD works on Macs fine. Just a little slower for ingest. Keep in mind that Sony sells PCs and PC software, so they don't have a vested interest in making it easier to edit on other platforms.

Keep in mind that Sony sells PCs and PC software, so they don't have a vested interest in making it easier to edit on other platforms.

Actually, Sony wishes they COULD provide the software for the conversion. Apple won't sell them the code with which to do it.
Sony Consumer Electronics doesn't care about Sony Creative Software nor Sony Professional services. They compete....
As mentioned, it's just as easy to do on a Mac, merely slower. Apple would do so much better if they'd read directly from the card and in native format. Less loss, higher speed,easier user experience. But that gets us away from the 105.
Most of the video cutaways seen on the PIA video blog are captured with the 105. All of the opening was shot with the 105.B|

Thanks for all the info DSE....i will deal with the MAC issues when i start using it. Im sure I will be able to deal with it. The CX105 looks like a sweet hd camera and im sure it will shoot great footage. As long as it convets it and its just going to be a little more time consuming, then I will just have to deal with it;)

So I'm planning on top mounting this camera using something like a Goldmember, Quick Quad or Schumacher Mount. Since the mounting hole on the bottom of the cam is not centered, do any of these mounts offer an offset option? Any suggestions? Rawa cam helmet.

Help me understand why this is a problem? The plate is small enough that any of the plate-based mounts shouldn't gve you any hassle. If you're trying to match the depth from a previously drilled hole, I can see that being an issue.
Attached is a pic of the CX100 on a Padlock (cookie composites) next to a 40D.
The Schumacher mount isn't as wide, but it works equally well.

Help me understand why this is a problem?

I'm going to mount it to the top of a rawa which is fairly narrow and I'm not sure if I will be able to shift the mount far enough to one side to have the camera centered. Therefore I was hoping for a mount that allow the camera to be offset.