Vertifly

VOODOO Upgrade

Just an FYI for all you Voodoo owners out there.

I own a Voodoo 1 size V1. Actually just purchased it off of eBAY. Nice rig, but within 1 week I had two minor malfunctions. These were caused by, what I believe to be, the shoulder harness coming untucked.

Now, I know this is a common problem and that many know about this. However, I feel that it is a good idea to report it to whomever wishes to read on this forum.

Malfunction 1... while I opening, my steering line came unstowed and tangled in the ajacent lines. This sent me into a spin on my crossfire 109 until it was untangled. I was two seconds away from chopping when it came untangled.

Malfunction 2... Steering line came out during freefall. During a big way head down jump (at a prominent freefly meet) at my home DZ, the steering toggle was hanging out of my rig and down at about knee level. A very level headed (and well known) person on the skydive gave me the universal signal for "You Are F#@KED"; and my thanks goes out to him.

NEEDLESS TO SAY... I am not jumping the container right now. It is on its way back to rigging innovations to have ALL of the appropriate modifications. Side panels and shoulder covers will be replaced - and whatever else they do. The owners of the company ARE VERY HELPFUL with getting you started.

Moral of the story...

And this is just a suggestion... If you own a VOODOO 1 and have had a similar experience, get off your butt, pay the 30 bucks (or so) for shipping, and send that container back to RI in Eloy.

BE SAFE UP THERE! Blue Sky's

Vertify

oh i thought it was the pointing with the look.. and the person flipping you the bird...

That would take two hands, but it would be effective. B|

I have a Voodoo 2, and the tucktabs on riser covers don't want to stay on either [:/] It's one of my least favorite things about the container. What do they do to fix this?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

The Universal Signal for F$%ked is a signal index finger point, with a great deal of friggin emphasis, while simultaneously providing several faces that resemble these: :o>:(B|:o>:(:o:S.

Not really sure what they are doing with the riser covers. I do know that the receiving flap is going to be much like the 2.5...which is stationary. It would be best to call up Sandy at Rigging Innovations and ask him more about it. If you are continuing to experience problems with the VOODOO 2.0, you should let him know about it.

Reminds me of a malfunction that Andreas had a last year. He said that he only had problems with toggles coming loose when he forgot to tuck them in deep enough.
Andreas also had problems with riser covers popping loose, so he did two things, first, he sent his Voodoo back to Rigging Innovations to have the latest version of riser covers installed.
Secondly, he asked me to pack his reserve soft across the top.
When in doubt, pack reserve containers soft across the top.

how do you pack a reserve containers soft across the top ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bulk distribution.
This is where we get into the subtle art form of reserve packing. If a rigger is careful with how he folds the reserve canopy, he can change the amount of canopy bulk in any corner of the reserve container. Often it only involves shifting a fold line by an inch or two. We are talking about subtle variations on the manufacturers' instructions.

For example, I know that R.I. recommends putting plenty of bulk across the top of the Voodoo reserve container, but when I did, Andreas complained about his main riser covers popping loose. When I put less bulk across the top, his riser covers stayed closed.
I have encountered similar problems with Javelin, Vector, etc. riser covers popping loose because there was too much bulk across the top of their reserve containers, so now I pack all reserves soft across the top.

Is this a common problem with them? I have a voodoo 2.0 as well and this isn't a problem for me.

The tuck tabs at the riser covers are very similar to my DZO's Talon from 5 years ago and his don't come undone either. In fact they are only slightly looser than mine and he has done a whole pile of jumps on that rig...

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.