skittles_of_SDC

jumping still cameras?

I'm not even jumping with video yet, although I hope to once I get to 200 jumps. I have only seen recommended jump numbers for jumping video (200) but not still cameras. What is the recommendation for jumping still cameras?

I don't intend to jump one for quite some time but the question just crossed my mind.

Edit: Velocity is not the only person to tell me that 200 jumps doesn't necessarily make you ready. What should one look for to determine if they are ready to jump camera?

Adding a still camera is a whole new game. Just like recommended numbers for video. I would give it some time and a lot of jumps before considering it . There is quite a sensory load with the added still camera. I made my 1st still jump around 600 or so if i remember right. And remember something, just because you hit 200 jumps does not mean your "ready" for the video.
Be safe !

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Re: ready to jump camera...???:|

enthusiasm is good
BUT

you need a great deal of awareness, from the point of gearing up, until you're safely back in the packing area.

your freefall skills must be solidly "second nature", and that takes years for some people,, and decades for others.;)

you must be willing to accept critique', and must purposely seek out advice on technique, positioning, camera gear, and even jumping gear....

nobody comes into that discipline, ( freefall videography) as a prodigy.... ( well mostly Nobody).... It takes time , often waaaaay more than 200 jumps,,, :S[:/]:)
The added weight and complexity of cameras, adds an entire new layer of concern to your dive. AND also affects the dive, for all those with whom you jump...
YES a camera on someone else.... will always affect those who are being filmed....(get used to geekers....)
:S:):P:)
Now, beyond your jumping gear, and dirt dive
thoughts, you'll have to be thinking about camera settings, indicator lights,
battery levels, tape levels, climb out procedures, and of course proper postitioning during the skydive....
you need all sorts of savvy, the type of which takes years to develop. Most of that cannot be acquired by reading on the internet ,,though the sharing of ideas and techniques can be aided by reading... But in reality you "have to get out there and skydive".....

i was in the sport for 23 years and quite current when I started jumping video.. approx 1700 + jumps at that time...
like i said,,,, not a prodigy...

slow and steady.. it's a marathon, not a 100 meter sprint.

jimmytavino
nscr 1817
36hr. FF # 1218

Readiness really depends on what you are wanting to do.

Tandem video would require more then say 4 way RW video.

4 way VRW would require more then 2 way freefly video.

You should be proficient in what ever discipline you want to video. Freeflying usually takes a lot more time to be proficient at then RW.

You don't want to be flailing around while trying to shoot video.

4 way VRW would require more then 2 way freefly video.

I think 2 way does definetly require more than VRW.

In 2way freefly you these days the cameraflier plays a big part on flying the routine. Its not just capturing the dive, like it moreless is in VRW

Instructors are the key to having information presented to a new jumper..

and the USPA process which creates instructors, does a pretty good job of making sure that Novice skydivers receive accurate, constructive, consistant and encouraging information....

However UNLESS that instructor has Actual "camera person" experience, AND is very very attentive to the students... sadly, i don't think THEY are the best 'evaluators' of a persons' readiness to jump cameras...

Sure they can monitor the new members of the community and MAYBE rate them against other new members to ascertain a jumpers'
ability to accept a new challenge...
BUT i'm not sure that all Instructors would have that inate ability to deem someone,,, ready or Not for cameras...

it's sorta like,,, "if you have to ask,,, you're not ready".....
An instructor is valuable as a person with whom to discuss the matter... but should not be the one to DECIDE,,,,, if any "Johnny Jumper" is ready to shoot video...

ALSO be VERY VERY careful of any DZO who is "pushing" for people to go get cameras,,, only so that he/she ( the DZO ) can meet the market demand for SELLING videos to the Tandem customers,,,,,
the incentive really should never be.... " to make money"...IMHO :|

I'll take a careful, safety conscious, technical camera wanna-be, who has artistry and creativity in mind,,,,, any day. over someone who is simply looking to " subsidize my fun jumps, with work jumps"...

How can you tell the difference??

well the artistic type is often willing to spend on gear, equipment AND lift tickets,,, doing camera jumps at his or her own expense, and freely skydiving with friends for the joy of it,,
and NOT just "taking the camera(s) " on a tandem or AFF jump when the $$$$$ clock is turned on...

setting goals and reaching for them is great and this sport is amazing in that, there are many many disciplines which we can persue ...
stay on track with your goals but stay reasonable and honest in your own self evaluation as you progress towards those goals..
good luck

:)
jmy

I agree with every thing in your post.

Most of my video has been freeflying, either fun jumps, 2 freefly or 4 way VRW. The few times I did video for RW I talked to as many of the RW video guys as I could and asked as many questions as I could think of. They gave me some great pointers and things to look out for. After Nationals I am looking at doing some Tandem video and because I have never done any I will working as closely as I can with those who do it all of the time. My learning curve won't be near as steep as someone who only has 200 jumps and has never jumped a camera at all. Each type of video jump has it's own little nuances that need to be learned and each is diffucult in it's own way. The key is to learn from those who have the experience.

One more thing, if you don't have the skydiving skills to be able to fly your body as necessary then all the advice in the world won't help you.

Tandem video would require more then say 4 way RW video.

I realize this is just an example but I'm not sure I would agree that there is more or less skill involved in any particular discipline.

for example there is a tandem videographer at our dz that is primarily a freeflyer and in the last couple of weeks he has shot a couple of formation skydives and the videos weren't that great... I'm sure he has the skill to shoot the videos but he probably doesn't know what to look for and the videos are less then stellar...

of course the same would be true if I was to try and shoot a freefly video... I'd have to learn the skills before being good at it... but the important thing is to ask the questions.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

i begun to shoot stills last season when i was around 350 jumps fot the lasts 30 or so jumps. Then this year i have around 200 jumps with the still cam and the video : my back hurts like hell every single morning and i didn't experienced any hard opening ...

with any decent video cam you'll be able to bring back some good footages, but taking stills is all another world, you'll have to choose the good moments to take the pics, it means that you'll have to forget to think about your freefall while you take the pics, you'll have to learn a lot about your camera settings and sometimes it can be quite frustrating once back on earth, and finally you'll have to muscle up your neck the more you can : trust me !
--------------------------------------------------
I never used 2 rocks to start a fire ... this is called evolution !

Everything above has been well said. Nobody can tell you when it's the right time - the only thing the others can tell is when it's _obviously_ too early.

The biggest risk factor is your mindset - so give yourself plenty of time. I started camera flying when having 300+ jumps. For the next 200+ jumps or so I was more focusing to my cameragear than to my jumping... guess what - on one pleasant day I joined a boarding queue with cameras on my head but no rig - it was a bit hasty day. Ok, I'm still here, but this was close 8:[

Nothing personal here - you are not me. Just take your time and be prepared to not having any leisure time at dz any more ;-)
villem
life is what you make it to be
http://www.youtube.com/villu357
http://www.flickr.com/photos/skybound