FreeflyJas

Cutaways on Camera Helmets

I'm aware of 3 cutaways with the helmet, two were bonehead FTPs and the other, Im' not sure of the brand/make.
All three videographers are alive, all three recovered their helmets, and all three lost functionality of gear. In one of the FTP cases, the helmet was still usable (was entangled in main).

In one of the FTP cases, the helmet was still usable (was entangled in main).

I have never seen or had anything snag on my setup. Does anyone have any pic's or video or a snap up or could tell what happened and what caused the helmet to snag up your lines?
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

The other incident is described here

Basically the PC was kept in hand for a while and the loose bridle looped around the ringsite.

It is rare but it can happen. Personally however, I wont take as much stress about the snaghazard as some of those jumpers who wrap their helmet full of gafferstape to seam all possible snag-places.. To me it just seems exaggerated.

It helps being aware of the risks though..

Basically the PC was kept in hand for a while and the loose bridle looped around the ringsite.

It is rare but it can happen. Personally however, I wont take as much stress about the snaghazard as some of those jumpers who wrap their helmet full of gafferstape to seam all possible snag-places.. To me it just seems exaggerated.

After readin that story I am so happy I have a cutaway. The handle is easy to reach and from the tests I have done on the ground works great. I hope I never have to use it but wont hesitate if I have to.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

with my ringsight I just cannot see how a line could snag on it.

EVERYTHING IS A SNAG POINT
I have seen video of a reserve baglock because it was entangled with an ALTIMETER. It cleared after about 5 seconds. nearly everyone wears an altimeter.
People have gone in with entanglements and lines snagged with THEIR OWN CONTAINER.
EVERYTHING is a snag point. Camera helmets just add to that. I have had to use my hook knife once because my swoop cord was snagged on my helmet. Never imagined that could happen.
I now realize, EVERYTHING IS A SNAG POINT.
My O.C.D. has me chasing a dream my A.D.D. won't let me catch.

I've tried everything I can think of and still cannot watch videos from this site.
I've even tried on three different computers.

I have been to this site a number of times over the years with no luck. Pretty frustrating.

Are these videos on you tube by chance?
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I have been to this site a number of times over the years with no luck. Pretty frustrating.

Amen. IMHO it is pretty silly to put something on the www that you have to log in to simply view it. I never go to that site because of that. If you wanna make something public, put it on a public site.

We're planning to do away with the login requirement... as soon as google buys the site for a few million bucks. Any day now.

FYI: the Guest Pass feature lets you share videos with other people so they don't have to log in. Like this: http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=guestpass&id=xa79v.

My site has more members than the USPA... must be doing something right. :)
Dave

My site has more members than the USPA... must be doing something right. :)

As a webmaster i have to tell you: AMEN TO THAT!

And pls, keep up the good work :-)

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

Don't like the "Remember Login?" check box option? :P

I do use it. I never said I wouldn´t. Using it doesnt mean you would be logged in automatically. It only means the the username and password are auto-filled. It still takes those staggering 1,5 seconds to move your cursor over the "log in" button and press it. :P

I do use it. I never said I wouldn´t. Using it doesnt mean you would be logged in automatically. It only means the the username and password are auto-filled. It still takes those staggering 1,5 seconds to move your cursor over the "log in" button and press it. :P

There was me thinking you were a really fast typist and now I just think you are a really slow mouse scroller and button clicker! :P
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Back to helmet cutaways, thankfully not had to use one yet. I have just changed the cutaway on my FF2 which was the webbing and rings type to the new button cutaway i think they call it. They suggest drilling the hole where the ratchet strap bolt goes to 10mm and use a round file to open the hole up a little more to fit the inner part. Not having a round file had to make do with a biro and some sand paper which did the trick.System works well.

I'm the guy in the first of the two videos.

As you can see, the catch was from sloppily stowing my excess line. It snaked right around the ringsite and that was that. I tried to break it off, but was unable to. All of the gear was ultimately recovered and works fine.

In my opinion, jumping a camera helmet without a cutaway - even one as "snag free" as an FFX - is just too risky.

For what it's worth, I also won't jump a ringsight - but that's mostly because the risk:reward analysis doesn't make sense in my situation (I jump camera for POV video that I post on YouTube. I'm not a professional photog, nor do I consider myself a video guy. None of my shots are worth the risk of entanglement. But that's a different issue.)
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork