ReyNier

mount hypeeye D pro on CX7 box

Here's what I did with my Cookie box for a sidemount. It's got a Z-kulls bracket so it's removeable and the Hypeye Pro is completely self contained inside the box. The indicator light sits alongside the Century Optic "baby death" .3 fisheye. The indicator light does not show up in the video, but is clearly visible in my field of vision (much better than when I tucked the indicator into my sunglasses). This whole setup does not protrude any further than my PC100 did in it's neoprene condom. I get much less torque on my neck with the side mount vs the top mount. The 'Baby death" does not protrude past the Cookie box so it is not going to catch a riser. My setup also allows you to access the video debrief port on the Hypeye, but I usually just open the box and plug in the mini HDMI.

Dude, I like the mounting.

Man I really do not like the CX7 mod, but that was in my disclaimer. You should be able to reverse it if you do not like it, I just hate how long the camera takes to boot up and switch to preview modes with the mod.

Be very very careful not to crink the flex cables, hope crink is a word... hmmmm, think I need to add something new to the urban dictionary :S

I still get shivers from getting shocked by that camera twice.... Wait, that explains it... :)

HYPOXIC

I got the stabilizer glued and the imager remounted before bedtime; I'll finish putting it back together tonight and cross my fingers that it works right the first time. I used the 1W resistor from radio shack to drain the flash circuit, but I still treated like it was hot just in case.

I agree that the mod isn't the best solution, but it's the easiest right now and once I had all those pieces in my hands, I wasn't in an experimenting mood! I just wanted to get it glued and put back together as soon as possible.

I think the reason it is taking so long to boot up is because the stabilizer circuit is disconnected. I think the ideal mod would be to glue the stabilizer (best way to guarantee no shaking) then plug the stabilizer into a custom FPC connector that had some kind of loopback wire or circuit to trick the camera into thinking it was connected to a working stabilizer (Kinda like the loopback plug that plugs into the accessory port of the Hypeye Pro, but probably more complex). Definitely above my skill level and hard to experiment with.

Thanks for the detailed instructions...I would have brick my camera in ten minutes if I just used the sony maintenance manual!

I agree with you, the loop back would be the optimal solution but at about 45minutes a pop, its hard to experiment. I have a feeling that the feedback is actually via the image processor. Since the CCD is so much faster than 30fps it uses some of that dead time to square the image up with the previous version and then takes the frame. Only Sony knows for sure. Good luck!
HYPOXIC

Here is a collage with a bunch of views with the box attached. It looks like it sticks out far to the side but it is the _exact_ same distance my PC100 was with its neoprene condom. As you can see, the baby death lens does not protrude out past the Cookie Box. The Z Kulls came with a plastic cap that fits flush into the open hole if I don't want to jump camera.

Instead of drilling 6 holes and having more external cabling, attached is a cleaner solution with only drilling two holes. Also, as Sony made the CX6/CX7 with a non-removable strap, some people are cutting it off rendering the camera difficult to use outside of the cambox for everyday use (not to mention fucking up the resale value). Fold the strap under the camera and it is exactly the thickness of two layers of the supplied adhesive-backed foam. (Photos attached below)

You’ve spent the better part £1500 on this setup, may as well take a few minutes more to make it look good as opposed to the usual jumping out the plane with a half roll of gaffer tape on your head.

Blue Skies
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Clean professional job, looks nice. One more thought for those that work on a solutions to integrate the Hypeeye D Pro in the box: Make sure the "AV debrief port" does not face towards the helmet shell. Cabelling of the Hypeeye (inside the box) has to allow that the AV port is accessable.

The setup is very nice. Just a comment you might not have thought about. It looks to me like you could accidently trigger the swith of the Hypeeye with the yoke of your container when bringing your head back. During flat fall, especially when filming from underneath the formation level or tandem, you might be restricted with head movement.
With this solution, you also have to run more cable inside the shell, which could annoy with tight fitted helmets. Holes drilled into a camera box instead of in the helmet shell won't affect resale value of the helmet. Changing the video camera for a stills or another type camera won't remove the cables and hypeeye D Pro from the helmet.

I like it dude. Clean, simple. Good work. You running the display cable through the helmet I take it?

Good job mounting the Hypeye D Pro, thanks for sharing.

And be careful in these parts about making fun of people with half a roll of gaffer's tape.... :)

-Trunk

Your missing a HYPOXIC sticker... PM me and I can send you one. That goes for all of you that have contributed with your HYPEYE D PRO setups. (hope that's ok mods)

HYPOXIC

Hi Nice setup on the cx6/7,iv'e just got one going to get a Hypeeye D pro for it but what is the best Wide Angel Lens for it, iv'e got a old Waycool lens RED 0.3 30mm so i got a step down ring for it so 37mm to 30mm ,i put it on but the the sides looked out of focus any help guys!!

the button on the controller is so small so it will take a sharp yoke to make it;) it`s the back/botom of the helmet that touch my neck first, so i havent felt any "snagging". i think i will keep this helmet for a longe time, since it`s so light and comfy to wear. and i cant feel the cable either, even with the expansion kit. the "link-box" between the cables of the expansion cable fits just beside my neptune in the dytter pocket, and all i used to mount was velcro-tape!
-M

It Was My Fate From Birth
To Make My Mark Upon The Earth