flyinmedic

Hiring a Videographer/Jumper

Hi All,

I was a skydiver until I got married 3+ years ago (yes, I guess now I'm a wuffo:S) Being that I still have an obsession with skydiving, I had an idea for marketing my business.

I am the owner of an emergency (police) lights company. We sell all types of lights for police cars.

My crazy idea is to have a skydiver jump with one of our lightbars (while its flashing) and have a videographer (or 2) film it. I'm looking for standard DV quality video.

Is this something thats possible (with a relatively low budget)? Any one out there who can help me please let me know:).

Thanks in advance.

Herschel

attached to the bottom of a freefly tube? with the handle routed so their is no weight on the lightbar. have someone that knows what they are doing hanging. make the lightbar as light as possible. sounds doable. can i have the video slot?
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

We did exactly that a few years ago, not a rotating beacon but a pelican king brand dive light ( maybe 5 pounds) on the bottom of a freefly tube. My plan was for just me on the tube and two guys on video, just incase one of them couldn't be around late enough for the night jump. It turned into about a six way after word got out what I was planning.

I don't know what size and weight of light you plan to use and the contained power source size and weight needs to be taken into account. If its for an ad then you may not want the freefly tube along as a distraction.

I got the advice of both S&TAs and a bunch of riggers before the attempt and had previously flown that tube plenty of times and several times during the day with video for evaluation as configured for the actual in the evening. Be safe.

We did exactly that a few years ago, not a rotating beacon but a pelican king brand dive light ( maybe 5 pounds) on the bottom of a freefly tube. My plan was for just me on the tube and two guys on video, just incase one of them couldn't be around late enough for the night jump. It turned into about a six way after word got out what I was planning.
what about the company logo on the tube? it sounds doable and fun. if the weight and balance it thought out.
I don't know what size and weight of light you plan to use and the contained power source size and weight needs to be taken into account. If its for an ad then you may not want the freefly tube along as a distraction.

I got the advice of both S&TAs and a bunch of riggers before the attempt and had previously flown that tube plenty of times and several times during the day with video for evaluation as configured for the actual in the evening. Be safe.

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

sorry i screwed that up royaly. deleated what i tried to quote. but what about putting the company logo on the tube? the guy sent me a pm says the things weight is 34 lbs with a self contained battery.

Here is a picture of the lightbar: http://www.whackerusa.com/store/verveledlightbars/prod_37.html

The jump could be done during the day as the LEDs are designed to be bright even in the day time. The lightbar with all accessories in the box is 34lbs but we could shave off a few pounds.

Herschel

Doable. I would consider having it done as a two person jump. One guy holds each side. If you didn't want to just drop the light bar one skydiver should probably have it attached to a second harness (with a cutaway, and a full face helmet) to ensure that it isn't dropped (given its weight) and jumper 2 should probably assist with deployment. Some of the military guys on here might know a bit more about how to rig something like that.

Cool jump. You should let the DZ keep the light bar cause it would make a really cool beer light. :P
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

There wouldnt be a problem with dropping the lightbar if need be. We would be glad to donate the lightbar to the DZ as a party light:)

Skyboarding it would be cool but I think logistically it might be harder (unless someone knows someone who would be willing to do it).

We are trying to keep this on a low budget as we dont have thousands to invest into it. But we really hope to make it a reality!

sorry i screwed that up royaly. deleated what i tried to quote. but what about putting the company logo on the tube? the guy sent me a pm says the things weight is 34 lbs with a self contained battery.

We jumped the tube at night and lit it up from below. The tube and light bar is out because the bar won't throw much light up into the tube. So you won't see any logos.

The bar with two jumpers and a deployable recovery drouge sounds good but enlist the help of knowledgeable riggers that do or have done just that.

The skysurfer idea is brilliant ( sorry about the pun) every wuffo thinks we all do that still. I now a few who could do it but they are all practicing for nationals. But after nationals I bet they would all take turns doing it, or maybe not. :ph34r:

On this stuff weight gives stability, especially if the battery is in the center. You can always AFF it over an unpopulated area, release it and then fly it as a skyball especially if the weight is in the center. Depends why you want it in the sky and who else needs to be in the shot. What's the story and what's it being used for?
HYPOXIC