chuckakers

Strange equipment problem

Just started shooting staff vids and have a problem with the DZ's editing gear.

When I connect my PC100 to the editor (don't remember the brand, but it's pretty generic - the one with various wipes/fades/etc, with a matching titler unit) the video comes out almost black and white. I say almost because certain colors - mainly on the red side of the spectrum - show up, but flash from color to black and white. It kind of resembles the result of connecting cables incorrectly.

Here's the strange part. I can hook my cam up to any other editing system (some vidiots have their own) and it works fine. Likewise, other cameras work fine on the DZ's gear. We tried swapping out each component (cables, tapes, etc.) with no luck. After much swapping and tinkering, we came to the conclusion that my camera and the DZ's editing gear really don't like each other.:(

Any help appreciated.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Check if your editing gear is using the composite (yellow rca cable) or S-video input on their mixer. S video has separate pins for lumanance (black and white information) and chroma (color ). It is possible for your camera to have an issue with the s-video output but work fine with composite.

Jim

Check if your editing gear is using the composite (yellow rca cable) or S-video input on their mixer. S video has separate pins for lumanance (black and white information) and chroma (color ). It is possible for your camera to have an issue with the s-video output but work fine with composite.

Jim

Sorry - forgot to mention we are using RCA cables, not S-video.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

if you plug you camera directly into a TV does everything work fine? If so its probably not you camera. I was having a problem a while back that took me a while to figure out. I had an aftermarket composite cable I was using but the but the output of the camera didnt match the cables. So normally the yellow is the video and the red and white are you left and right audio signals. With this cable everything works but the colors didn't match up. Video came out of the red cable and the sound came from the yellow and white. Kinda weird, but might be something to check.

if you plug you camera directly into a TV does everything work fine? If so its probably not you camera. I was having a problem a while back that took me a while to figure out. I had an aftermarket composite cable I was using but the but the output of the camera didnt match the cables. So normally the yellow is the video and the red and white are you left and right audio signals. With this cable everything works but the colors didn't match up. Video came out of the red cable and the sound came from the yellow and white. Kinda weird, but might be something to check.

We hooked up every component independently to known good equipment. The only problem is when we connect my camera (using any RCA cables) to the DZ's equipment.

By the way, the editing gear is Videonics brand.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX