mr2mk1g

helmet + camera bag combined

I've been idly looking for a while now for a camera bag which has space to stow my camera helmet (FF2 in my case) along with my camera gear. Now my helmet bag has broken I'm looking with renewed interest.

Over the last couple of years there's been a range of bags come out which are half rucksack/half camera bag and this is the sort of thing I'm after.

Has anyone come across one / own one which would easily take both my helmet and have padded space for a DSLR, Sony mini-DV and a couple of lenses, tapes, batteries, bits and bobs etc?

Closest I've found to date is this sort of thing: http://www.fotosense.co.uk/shop/Tamrac_Bags/Cases/Tamrac_5549_Adventure_9_Backpack_-_Camouflage.asp?productID=4732&tabID= but I'm gonna have to go look at one to see if the helmet fits.

Ideas?

I use the large Lowe compupro backpack for hauling my camera equipment and Lappy. Personally, I think jamming a helmet into it along with the camera gear is not a good or economical choice. I am surprised that someone was able to actually get their helmet and gear into it honestly.

If carrying your helmet with your camera gear in one back pack style container is your goal, I would recommend looking at regular, large back packs/book bags and using it off the shelf and or modifying it to hold the camera gear using dividers. The newer Military M-5 medic bags offered by many shops would be plenty deep enough to hold a helmet and any camera gear,accessories as well.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have the same backpack, you wouldn't be able to fit a helmet in there. It is nice for all your electronics though, although the bottom pouch for camera's isn't very big. I'm kind of dissapointed with it, considering the price. It also wears out pretty quickly.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

I actually have that exact same backpack too. Definitely no room for a helmet... mine's absolutely full of everything else I need though. Still camera, cleaning stuff, batteries, tapes, chargers, docking station, LOTS of wires, some blank DVDs, pens, telephoto lens, flash, laptop, paperwork, bidness cards, some tools, video camera remote, etc...

No wear issues on mine at all after at least a year and a half of use every weekend.

Only problem I had once was picking it up off the floor with the bottom compartment unzipped by accident. Still camera fell out and smashed the ground (plywood floor) lens first... shattered a glass filter on it, but the camera and lens survived.

For my FF2, I use a "Brand X" helmet bag from square1. Fits perfectly.

Best part is that I didn't buy either bag... backpack was a gift and helmet bag was won in a raffle. I used to use an insulated lunch bag for my camera stuff and a sturdy plastic shopping bag for my camera helmet. I've slowly upgraded over the years...

Dave

Only problem I had once was picking it up off the floor with the bottom compartment unzipped by accident. Still camera fell out and smashed the ground (plywood floor) lens first... shattered a glass filter on it, but the camera and lens survived.

Samething happened to me at Vancouver Airport. My camera and lens came out and smashed the to the floor. Really pissed me off as, it cost me 3 days of shooting while I waited for replacement lens from UPS (overnight delivery my ass>:() This really didn't go over well with my business partners.

Since then I have switched over a Pelican Case. Which I love. Sure it is a pain in the ass to haul around. But I can place all my cameras and Underwater housing in one case. Plus they are lockable, so I don't have to be constantly worried about my equipment.

(Side note as I don't get flamed: I do only U/W photgraphy and Video. Though DZ.com is the oly place that has an excellent Vid/Phot forum. I am not planning on flying a camera for very long time. I have sen first hand the dangers of shooting vids underwater and I can't possible think of the dangers in Skydiving! Thanks!)

I do only U/W photgraphy and Video. Though DZ.com is the oly place that has an excellent Vid/Phot forum.

Give Fred Miranda a look and see if it has anything that appeals to you. I know there are a few UW photogs there and it's also a wealth of info.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING