rhys

Show us you helmet cutaway system.

I have seen a thread on here before showing various camera helmet cutaway systems but can't seem to find it with the search function.

I have to install a cutaway to my camera helmet in order to jump it in France, I have access to rigging equipment and materials and want to make a simple effective system.

If you have a good system please post photos, I have seen various systems before and some seem too messy/snaggy, others were too complex.

If you manage to find the thread already here somewhere please make a link.

Thanks for any help,

Rhys
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I like the look of these. Very neat. Not over engineered and not so expensive.

http://www.dzsports.co.uk/airgun-cutaway-system-462-p.asp

There are reports of these not working under load. The pin thats supposed to be pushed out by the spring doesn't come out because it jams. I've also heard that exactly this type of system is not allowed in France as a cutaway system because of it not working. I don't have any references at the moment, sorry. I'll see if I can find some.

I've recently built a cutaway system by recycling some old risers I had lying around and using the 3-ring system on there (I only use the 2 rings on the riser itself + the loop).

I'll post some pics tonight when I get home.

Cheers
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

I've never trusted the pin and spring system shown on that model myself. I like it because it's very clean and has very few extreneous parts, but I would not trust it to release of there was already a load on the pin, which there almost certianly would be if you were trying to get rid of it. I built my own cutaway using the 2 small rings from a mini 3-ring system, a bit of webbing, some velcro and a bit of cutaway cable. Here's a picture of the helmet, if you'd like more detailed pictures of the cutaway exclusively, PM me and I'll take some.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

I've recently built a cutaway system by recycling some old risers I had lying around and using the 3-ring system on there (I only use the 2 rings on the riser itself + the loop).

I'll post some pics tonight when I get home.

Here are promised pics.

The most difficult part is actually getting the helmet side velcro for the release cable to stick to the helmet. :)

There are reports of these not working under load. The pin thats supposed to be pushed out by the spring doesn't come out because it jams.

I hadn't considered that but now you've pointed it out I can see that as problem.

EDIT AFTER BRAINSTORMING: Perhaps this could be remedied by shortening the pin so it simply locates the chinstrap, drilling a new larger hole and threading some closing loop material and using a curved closing pin instead of an R clip. The curved pin should handle the greater load.

I assume you've tested it under load? My FF2 cutaway is similar to that... totally failed when I had someone pull up on my helmet while I cut it away. The white loop was getting pinched against the helmet (the chin cup in my case). My solution was to flip the "riser" over so the white loop comes outward instead of inward. Works fine now.

Also, any trouble grabbing the cutaway handle when the helmet is on? Mine's right on the chin cup, easy to grab... maybe a little too easy. No problems with it though.

Dave

I assume you've tested it under load? My FF2 cutaway is similar to that... totally failed when I had someone pull up on my helmet while I cut it away. The white loop was getting pinched against the helmet (the chin cup in my case). My solution was to flip the "riser" over so the white loop comes outward instead of inward. Works fine now.

Yeah I had that problem during testing, and I think I've solved it by moving the riser slightly back, but I'll try it again when the setup is complete (glue is still drying).

Also, any trouble grabbing the cutaway handle when the helmet is on? Mine's right on the chin cup, easy to grab... maybe a little too easy. No problems with it though.

So far no problems finding it and grabbing it... This is kind of difficult: you don't want it to let go too easily (no premature releases), yet it has to let go easily when needed.

Hi,

I really like that design, indistrial looking bolts.

Couldn't really tell but it looks like you swaged the cutaway cable with plastic cable ties?

I'll build something similar to that,

I am sure there is a much simpler method like a different kind of snowboard clip for instance, but they tend to be too prone to 'undesired activation'.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Perhaps this could be remedied by shortening the pin so it simply locates the chinstrap, drilling a new larger hole and threading some closing loop material and using a curved closing pin instead of an R clip. The curved pin should handle the greater load.

I'm not sure I envision your solution properly, but some people replace the bolt in one of the 2 chinstraps by a piece of closing loop, which is held fast by the cutaway cable in the back. Bonehead uses a system like this on their Flat Top Narrow (only the latch is in the back, so less pressure to contend with).

Maybe McCordia can post some pics of the cutaway system here? He has the FT narrow.

Hi,

I really like that design, indistrial looking bolts.

I tried to find bolts with rounded heads, but my hardware store didn't have them. Make sure you use a nylon locknut on the other side of the bolt.

Couldn't really tell but it looks like you swaged the cutaway cable with plastic cable ties?

Yes, although the cable ties are not enough to hold it in place. The yellow cable is very smooth/slippery and slips out of the cable ties, so I'm going to add some glue (2 component epoxy resin) to make sure it all stays in place. Alternatively you can use a piece of metal folded and clamped around the 2 yellow cables. Put a piece of heat shrink tubing around it to make sure it does not have sharp edges (I'm describing what everymansaved has on his helmet in the picture a few posts back).

See the Cookie Composites site for an example of a similar cutaway system to mine:

http://cookiehelmets.com/shop/helmetaccessories/38/index.htm

Cheers

Ok so I hear a lot of people talking about helmet cutaway systems, my question is what is your main reason for having one? Is it fear of entanglement with your lines/risers/bridal? I have checked out my friends on his ff2 and rawa, and thought that even though your chinstrap is off the helmet is still stuck to your head. My thoughts are if you have an entanglement wouldn't you want to hack your lines with your hook knife and spend a couple of hundred on a lineset instead of four thousand on a new camera set up? I really don't see all the hype in them, but to each his own that being said I'll probably have an entanglement when I go back to work. Thoughts or opinions anyone?
pull low, fly fast, PLF!

If you have as many jumps and experience as your profile says you should know these answers already?
If you are unstable when you deploy your reserve, which it is likely you will be Are you really worried about cutting lines or saving your life at say a grand. Cut the helmet away when all the shit is tangled on it. You'll spend the rest of your life trying to save some equipment dude.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Like a friend of mine used to say: "i'd rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it". What if your hook knife breaks or you drop it while you are hacking away at those lines?

What if, God forbid, you had a drogue entangled with your stills cam? There are just too many possibilities for me to warrant having one and not needing to use it than not having one.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Hi,

I have well over 2000 camera jumps and don't feel I need to have a cutaway system. I am pretty sure I can pitch stable.

I am however going to the world championships later this year in France. In France it is mandatory to have a cutaway system on your camera helmet.

There maybe a scenario or two that could require the use of a cutaway system on a camera helmet, dislocated shoulder or similar come to mind?

I also carry a hook knife and have nylon screws in my ring-sight mount.