JayhawkJumper

viper/cobalt

I've got 8 jumps on a viper 120 and I was nothing short of impressed. Loaded at 2.1. I haven't jumped a standard cobalt and I can't get a competition version demo, but I understand they're slightly different that the old version.

Don't forget about the Alpha.
just starting out and coming to a competition near you

I jump a Viper 135. It does not open as the Cobalt does because the cross ports are "conventional", i.e. every rib has them. I was told that the openings are more consistent on the Viper. Mine opens fantastically at sub-terminal, terminal, and supra-terminal. I just cannot get it to open hard. The alpha and cobalts have a different trim than the viper but the overall foil is the same. The top skin of the cobalts and alphas also have 18 separate pieces vs. 9 on the vipers. This canopy has an amazing bottom-end and incredible flare power, much more than a stiletto of the same size. The front riser pressure is pretty light even though I am only loading it @ 1.25. IMHO this is one of the best 9 cell elliptical there is and it's very underestimated. It does fly a bit big. I also have a Viper 105 with 10 jumps on it that is sitting on my closet waiting for me to score more jumps...
Memento Audere Semper

I did considerable research on this. This is a quote from Dan Preston while I was trying to get some data for a re-line on an older Viper and on a Super Viper/Alpha that had opening issues:

"Viper, (alpha/space/contrail), then cobalt are all based on the same planform. The main difference is construction and surface tension pattern has been continously advanced. "

I have measured line trim and shape on a couple of these canopies and have also jumped several sizes - unless I got really drunk while taking the measurements they are effectively the same.

I fly a cobalt 95 280 jump on it the opening is soft and consistent on heading I love it, on one jump i was not watching the altitude, got low, I dump on track and it did not slam me, it was little hard but not like specter the slam me three times. viper i don't know abut.
"A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones ..."

most of the people with cobalt i talk to they have no problem, but few had a bad opening to a point they send it back to the factory. my worst opening on canopies was in spectre, it whack me three times
"A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones ..."

I get nice openings from my 2 viper 105's. Only 1 time in 2700 jumps my slider on my 105 was left stowed during the repack (I didn't pack it). That was the hardest opening I've ever had! I always thought seeing stars was a cartoon thing, but you really do see flickering lights.

jumpervali