pbwing

Downloading vids from a PC350 to my PC

PC 350 in the base station
connected to a PC running Vista

Before you say RTFM, I don't have the FM to R...

I downloaded the USB drivers for Vista from the Sony website, but when I place the camera in the base station, and power it on, I can't get the PC to recognize the camcorder.

I would expect to see Vista give the pop up that a device is connected, but I get nothing.

I am using a mini USB connected to the base station and a USB connected to the PC.

I also try using the firewire connection on the base station connected to the port on the PC. Still nothing.

Any help?

Thanks!

I'm not sure I would really consider capturing footage from a DV camera as "downloading" but that asside you need to use a firewire connector.

But you also need to use some sort of capture software to capture video. Windows Movie Maker is a good program to learn the basics with and is included in Vista.

You probably can also make sure that your Camera is recognized by Vista by opening up the device manager.

I hope this helps...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I would consider it "downloading." The camera is digital storage, being Xferred from the camera/server to the personal computer/client.

Either way USB doesn't work. You need to use 1394. The manual is available online.

Even if you aren't using any capture software at all when you connect the camera (using firewire of course), windows should still see it: "new hardware found" etc. Try connecting the firewire first then turning on the camera (to "play" if you weren't doing this already), or try turning the camera to "play" first then connecting. Some cameras need to be connected in a specific o,rder for some reason, however most don't care.

If you ARE running capture software, with some you need to specify widescreen vs 4:3 and NTSC vs PAL make sure you have those settings right, providing you can choose. Sometimes if the software doesn't get exactly what it expects you get nothing at all.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Yeah, that's what I figured. I should either recognize it or complain that it doesn't know what it is.

The fact is it's not doing anything.

Plugged in base station, connected firewire cable, set PC350 in cradle, powered on camcorder, set to Play/Edit mode...zip, zilch, nothing...

I beginning to think it's either the base station or my port on the computer. Seeing it's a used 350 and a brand new Dell XPS, I think it must be the base station...

Damn

You sure the DV of the PC350 works? (i.e. find someone with another DV camera and see if that one is recognized in Vista. Next try if those camcorders - your PC350 and the other one - can communicate with eachother through a firewire cable.
(This of course assumes that at least one of the cams is also "DV-in" - but I believe the 350 being a high end camera should be...)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

I have an older TRV-11 that I know used to work with a laptop I had that was running XP Pro.

I just tried the PC350 connected to the laptop - same thing. Nothing happening.

I just have to dig up the battery for the TRV-11 to see if I can firewire to the Vista. If I can, it must be the cradle...

I have an older TRV-11 that I know used to work with a laptop I had that was running XP Pro.

I just tried the PC350 connected to the laptop - same thing. Nothing happening.

I just have to dig up the battery for the TRV-11 to see if I can firewire to the Vista. If I can, it must be the cradle...

I had this same exact problem with my Hc-40...it did not work on my laptop for anything...but it worked on my friends laptop....i sold it and got a sony pc-1000 and it works fine on my laptop...i dont know what the problem was but it works now! and im using the same firewire cable

Just two more things really quick, double check that you have IEEE 1394 Bus host controller driver is installed in Vista. Right click My Computer, and select Manage. Then, from the Computer Management window, select Device Manager.

Also have you tried powering the docking station? Somewhere along the way I thought I heard someone say some need to be powered, this may be out of my rear end, but its a shot!
HYPOXIC

The plot thickens. A friend has a PC350 and I tried my camcorder in his docking station - still nothing.

He tried his camcorder in my docking station and it worked fine!

It would seem that the docking connection on my PC350 is broken - that is I can't download, however when I connect it to the docking station it will still charge and I can still video out to my TV.

Has anyone else seen this? More importantly, is it work fixing - cost wise?

Has anyone else seen this? More importantly, is it work fixing - cost wise?

As it happens, I consulted a repairman that I trust about exactly the same problem on a DCR-PC105e.

He said that it depended on what the exact problem was. In our case we knew what the cause was, i.e. every DV enabled camera that had been connected with one specific computer (yes, the one @ the DZ that was used for most of the editing) was,eh well - not DV enabled anymore due to a faulty DV card.

When I told my repairman this he told me not to bother sending the camera in, a faulty connection or wire he could have fixed but this would mean 'major surgery - more than the camera is worth'. :(

I forgot what he had to replace but it was something they don't replace, they either toss the camera or say 'this one has no DV anymore - great second camera'... In our case, with other camera's that are DV enabled at our disposal, that is what we keep doing - the PC105e films static line exits or landings just fine but you have to take the mini-DV tape out and put it in another camera to upload to a PC - which is what YOU could do with the older TVR.

It is a bit of a nuisance - and one more step to lose the footage in, but that's how we did things in 2007...

With the PC350 as your primary camera working around it this way can quickly become an enormous nuisance, I'd imagine though. But cameraflyers have to be well organized people with ability to 'multitask' anyway so it's only gradual, me thinks... :)

Hope this helps.

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...