Blahr

Dumb pullout question

How do you keep the p/c under the flaps? Folded or laid out flat?

I "S" fold the bridle and stash it under the top flap, then fold the p/c over once and pull the bottom flap up over it to hold it in place.

What about the hackey? Won't you end up having a 'lump' under the flaps?

On most pullouts there is no "hackey", only the PUD on the end of the lanyard, so there is no "lump". On my convertible model, I have a flat foam PUD sewn in place of a hackey. When packed as a pullout, the throwout handle PUD lays flat inside the tray and is invisible. When packed as a throwout, my rig just looks like a pullout rig (as my "hackey" is a PUD) with a slightly "plump" bottom end (as the p/c is in the BOC). I remove the pullout PUD, so it's no longer in the equation.

In your other post, you mentioned routing the bridle outside the flaps such that you can view the kill-line window. How do you do it?

Again, most pullout bridles don't have windows to check your kill-line through, but if yours does (or if you add one), I would put the window about 8 inches short of the bag. That way, then you roll the bag into place, you leave the section of bridle with the window out of your "S" folds, and don't trap it under the top flap. This way it can be checked later on. You can even add a little tab of velcro if you like, and make an anchor point on the top flap to stick your bridle to for ease of viewing....as on some rigs for checking throwout kill-lines.

It isn't a hard mod to do. Your local rigger should be able to knock it out for you.;)

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Add one con.
If you have a kill line on your PC you can not chect to see if it's cocked with the pack closed.

I never get this argument, do you check if your brake are stowded when the pack is closed? Can you check if the slider is up, with the pack closed etc.....

They're is a bunch of things you can't check with the rig closed. To me it sounds like an outdated argument, rather than logical thought process.

Glenn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

do you check if your brake are stowded when the pack is closed? Can you check if the slider is up, with the pack closed etc.....

Agreed. There are a lot of things you can't check with the pack closed. Pull out just adds one more.

But it doesn't have to. As I've mentioed before, you can pack it in such a way as to check to be sure it's cocked.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Also keep in mind that when the pilot chute hits the air, the container is already open. making the problem of an un-cocked pc less of a problem.

More rules is NEVER the right the answer.....

What if you forget to cock your pilot chute with a pull out? The pin is pulled, bag is loose no pilot chute? Seems worse than a throw out where at least your pin will be in until the pilot chute inflates its self and then pulls the pin.

Thoughts appriciated.

The pin will pull BEFORE the PC inflates on a throw out. Doesn't take that much drag at terminal velocity to pull a curved pin. At terminal velocity an unckoded PC will result in a slower but normal deployment in most cases. (sub terminal would be iffy, at best)

I've tried it several times, when kill lines were the "new" thing in the early 90's and lots of rumors and myths were floating around. Both pull out's and throw out, worked everytime!

I even ran into a guy at a boogie in 93 that DIDN'T know what a kill line was (he had one on his new rig) and told me that he had put 20 jumps so far on his new rig and didn't notice the difference!:$ After I squared him away on it, he came back and said "thanks feells more positive now":|

People fear what they don't know and make all kind of reason why their choice is better. just doesn't work that way, Every system as it's pro's and con's, make up your own mind based on facts, not opinions.Remember when if we put students on BOC with throw out PC, we were going to kill stugents by the truck load?

I have thousands of jumps on both system and I like the pull out better. I was trained on throw outs and use it for a long time, decided to give the PO a try and never looked back.

Minds are like parachutes boys, they don't do you any good if they are not open. Don't knock it 'cause you don't use it, there's room for everybody

Glenn

Pull out is OLD man. Nothing new in the last 8 years.
It satisfies its market who tend to be camera people with big burbles, and some freeflyers who if faced with a premature deployment, would prefer it not to be an out of sequence premature deployment. A pullout also clears up the old "to cutaway or not to cutaway" total mall debate. It's a good system. I have around 1500 dives on one, the rest are all ROL or BOC throwout.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I think if you forget to cock your pilot chute you're kind of stupid, or at least VERY spaced-out.

I'm sure plenty of experienced people have done it, but I'm not really sure how, as an uncocked pilot chute (on my canopy, anyway) leaves at least 6" of kill line visible inside the D-bag, which is right in front of my face as I'm trying to put the canopy in the bag. To say nothing of what the collapsed pilot chute looks like. It seems logically like it should be about as hard to do as Pro-Packing with a collapsed slider.

Oh well, I guess sometimes shit happens anyway. How often do people really leave pilot chutes uncocked??

Joe

I did it this weekend - only realised after I did all my line stows. It's easy to tell if a pc is cocked or not though just be looking at it. I find it weird how people can pack em and not notice.

Oh and CornishChris - you need a c licence to jump a pullout in the uk anyway :)

Well, as some people like to tell us,
If no one is presently observing that pilot chute, it might not actually exist at all until it comes out of the container where we can once again observe it into existance :-)

If it doesnt exist, how can it be cocked?

Pull out is OLD man. Nothing new in the last 8 years.

Lot's of things are old, three rings is over 25 years old, nothing new in the last ten years or more......:PB|