bofh

Call to action: IEEE-1394 and competions.

Many new consumer level cameras are now appearing without IEEE-1394. For competions this presents a problem since our rules say;
"FAI COMPETITION RULES FOR ARTISTIC EVENTS" 2007 edition, cut from section 5.7.2:
"The freefall video equipment must be able to deliver a PAL digital signal
by means of an IEEE 1394 (firewire) compatible connection."

I have no suggestion for a new wording for that rule, but I feel it needs to change due to the changes in the available technology.

If that rule is changed this requires changes to the equipment the competion organisations are using, so it doesn't come without a price.

I've been in contact with my countries IPC delegate and she suggested that other IPC delegates should be informed about the issue now, so I suggest that other people interested in this issue contacts their IPC delegates.

There's more to this, you can't simply say we accept usb connections, your equipment must be able to handle it. And AFAIK that might be a problem, esp. in cases where computers are not used. But for now Sony still has firewire on all models (AFAIK) and 99% of skydivers use Sony so not much of a problem there, yet.

Also we have competitions demanding either 4:3 or 16:9 footage, some cameras cannot do both. There's nothing in the IPC rules about this so not sure how they want to enforce this, but I can understand they want the same format for all...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Also with HD camera's there is no longer PAL and NTSC so that would not apply either to anyone that is using a HD camera in HD mode.

This currently is not an issue since last I looked at some of the top teams like Fastrax they were using old PC series cameras but in the next 2-3 years this is going to be a real issue as people move to HD camera's and expecially to solid state media.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

It's actually worse than you may think from an organizer's point of view.

I was the video controller at the last National's in Perris a couple years ago and there was already a pretty big issue when it came to teams showing up with non-standard equipment. The reality is that the video staff ends up having to find SOME way of dealing with it even if it's a "guest" team from a country with a completely different standard. In short, the whole thing simply sucks.

Whatever the USPA/IPC finally decides on this, I would hope for the sake of everyone involved that camera flyers would RESPECT the standard and show up with the right gear. To do otherwise simply screws over everyone.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

This years Nationals was really well handled in that regard. Just about everybody used Firewire, but they were also set up for composite, s-video, and had a PAL/NTSC converter.

As did we at Perris, however, the RULES say that only Firewire is SUPPOSED to be used. See the issue . . . WAY more crap to have to deal with JUST because some camera flyers are too cheap to follow the rules.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

As did we at Perris, however, the RULES say that only Firewire is SUPPOSED to be used. See the issue . . . WAY more crap to have to deal with JUST because some camera flyers are too cheap to follow the rules.

Then again, a part of that problem is in the rules. As it is now, it is the "freefall system" that must be able to produce the right output via the right protocol/hardware.

An external converter (most likely a computer) could be used, but is not allowed, and I can understand why, given the simplicity of making the playback slightly faster, but then again such things can also be covered by rules (like allowing all teams to inspect/use any conversion system, the competition organisation should approve of it etc).

Its good with standards so the more there are the better... :P