ryanjohn

Pilot Chute Wrap on Brake Line

Hello peeps!
Not sure if this is the right place to post this question. Never made a post here before, been in the sport over 7 years now, but only been jumping solo for 1. Currently have 275 jumps, C license and coach rating.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced this. My opening today was perfectly normal, except that my pilot chute had wrapped around my brake lines on the left side. I did a few flares and yes, it was turning slightly and there was a little bit more pressure on that side, but I felt safe to land, thankfully had no problem and stood it up. It did feel weird though, especially when landing.
Just curious if anyone out there has had the same thing, but maybe even worse and what might happen unexpectedly as a result of that, thinking mostly if you are too low for a cutaway.
I've attached some still I took from the video. You can see initially it was fine, but at some point when I looked away it wrapped.

Thanks for the info everyone! Love my sky fam!
Ryan

I had a very similar thing happen a few weeks ago. The pilot chute got wrapped when the canopy surged forward toward the end of inflation. Followed the exact same steps as you; no problems on landing. As long as the pilot chute is collapsed and not distorting the canopy (i.e. there is slack in the bridle), I don't think it would cause any serious harm.

I'd bet a lot of people have landed with this condition and didn't notice it.

Even if the PC was fully inflated, I would expect the canopy to fly with only minor change. Maybe if it was a super tiny canopy it could cause real trouble.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Hi,

yes this can happen on occasion, and 99.99% of the time it is not an issue. although i have very rarely seen this on solo gear it seems to be more common with Drogues on tandems.
it is normally a result of a very very slow and sniffling opening and where the end cells are or can be partially closed. the Pilot chute can drop down on top of the canopy when that happens and just go over the tail and wrap around the lines there.
is there many jumps on that pilot chute? it might be no harm to get the pilot chute looked at by a rigger. when was the last time you checked the length of your kill-line?

Rodger

That's a fairly common thing to have happen, and rarely causes any problem sufficient to need a cut-away.

The other variation on that theme is to have the pilot chute over the nose and caught in an A-line, maybe slightly pinching off the opening to one half-cell. Again, rarely a big deal.

Many years ago, I had one wrap around the corner slider grommet and lines. Had fun with that for about 5 seconds! But that was back in the days of long pilot chute bridles. Also used to try and do it on purpose with my Cruiselite by holding it in a stall till the pilot chute fell over the nose. Nothing bad happened doing that but probably not a good idea with ZP performance canopies...