NottsTom

Sony HC-38 and Bonehead L Bracket

Can't quite afford a box, so was just going to buy a Bonehead L-bracket. Before doing so, just wanted to make sure that the Sony HC-38 will fit properly on a standard L-bracket. Going to then attach it to the side of a Bonehead Allsport and minimize any snag points. Thankyou for and any all help.

My suggestion:

Try a different canopy first. I see by your profile you fly a Sabre-150. This canopy has been known to open quite hard on occasion and if you value your neck it'd be best to try, say, something the likes of a Spectre instead.

(speaking as someone who has a friend who is now a quadriplegic from an opening on a Sabre-150)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

i second that motion about the sabre,, i had a slammer so that the video blanked out for a couple of seconds and my chin touched my chest.. sold and spectre 150 is now my canopy.. seriously consider a canopy change if you are serious about video. !! not sure about the l bracket as i have a box.. good luck..
dont let life pass you by

I don't recall if you stated that you had hard openings on your sabre. Before changing canopies try better packing and better body position. I flew a sabre for my first few camera jumps and it opened fine.

The HC38 on an L bracket sounds like an excellent choice. I've also seen HC models topmounted with the liquid flat lock. Its pretty smooth and low profile. Probably more than sidemounting. Plus its pretty easy for you to take it off if the situation calls for it.
Na' Cho' Cheese

I have the DCR-HC48 which I believe has the same physical dimensions as the HC38.

Too wide for a side mount. People told me it would get a lot of riser slap and after I tried side mounting it and saw how far it stuck out I decided they were right and switched to a top mount.

I ended up buying the Skydance top mount platform and it works great.

I also built my own enclosure from plexiglass/acrylic to protect the camera. That cost me about 15 bucks worth of materials, weighs next to nothing, and its far stronger than any of the boxes you would pay a hell of a lot more $$ for.
__

My mighty steed