kwmontreal

Bonehead Havoc

I am tired of wearing my sport Rx perscription goggles (perscriptions in plastic are never quite right, The foam sucks and they always want to change the frame. i have all but decided to buy a Bonehead havoc. If you have one I would like to hear any positive or negative feedback that you have. I know about flipping up the visor in the plane and under canopy (ie: the care and visability restrictions under canopy).

Thanks and Jump Safe!!

Kent
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------JUMP SAFE!

Its Ugly, and loud in the air (compared to an Oxygn). But its a strong helmet that can take being scraped face down across the pavement and still be ok.

To each his own.

(Contacts and Oxygn winning combination, no visibility problems, and its quiet)

--
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I

I tried the Oxygen and almost went from wearing glasses to contacts, and I don't have thick glasses. I hadn't heard anything about noise in freefall yet.
Thanks for the input.

Jump Safe.

Kent
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------JUMP SAFE!

A lot of people go with the Havoc exactly because of the situation that you are describing. They dont want prescription goggles and it is tough to find a helmet that you can wear regulare glasses with, especially if you have a big melon. I would recommend trying a z1 or an oxygen to see if you can comfortably wear them with your glasses on. I find that those are better helmets in general, but if you dont have any other choices go with a Havok. If you are going to be doing a lot of RW, you will wish you had a fullface when you get kicked in the face. Other than that, I think that they are quite ugly, but they do serve their purpose. I guess its better to have an ugly helmet than have a ugly face after a hit in freefall.;)

I am currently using a Bonehead Havok due to all of the reasons you have stated. I can't stand the over the glasses goggles or the perscripton goggles. It works great but looks ugly. If you are not bothered by the occaisonal funny looks and questions, then it will work great. I personally don't care too much what other skydivers think, but am not too happy about having it on while being video taped. It just doesn't look "Cool":$
Oh well.
I am considering trying the perscription sports goggles for basketball under a Z1 maybe. The goggles are pretty cheap at Lenscrafters. I priced it out to be around $100 for my perscription.

Does a Havok do ok freeflying? I worry about fullface visors in a sit.

The way the visor is held down with the Havok it would take some amazing speed to cause it come up. That isn't a worry at all. I sitfly and stand with it all of the time.

It's great.I am using one for nearly 1/2 a year now and have no complaints.And what about the looks?Well who cares anyway.It's comfortable,it even got some friends of mine scared when they saw me comming.It looked like a jetfighter pilot they said.But hey i am a top gun aren't i?B|;)

If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes???
My logbook

I tried an Oxygen and there was no way I would want to wear it for the 3-5min it takes for a jump. I should say that my question is due to the lack (read: non existance) of full face helmets at the DZ.

If they see my ulgy mug coming at them in Freefall and it scares them, then they probably shouldn't be there anyway!! I consider that a big plus!!;)

I've had a Havok for over a year now. It replaced a Z1 that I had previously. Benifits? My Z1 popped open a couple times on me (once in competition) and wasn't nearly as well insulated or protective as the Havok.
My sister has a Platinum Factory Diver that I checked out. It is very nice, but not very serviceable. Once the velcro wears out and you need a new windscreen, back it goes to Skysystems for 90.00 plus shipping.
The only thing to service on the Havok is the Windscreen and they are 15.00 a piece. I really like that the whole face shield flips up. So, I can work with a student in the plane, flip it down (and it stays down) and go.
You may lose a few points for fashion with the social RW crowd, but you can make them uglier if you wish (see attached pic).

peace out, Hixxx

death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

badasshelmet4.jpg

badasshelmet3.jpg

MrHixxx,

You better tell who did that or I know 3 people who will begin to hunt you down!!! To cool!! I want one...PM me if he is still working ... I'll give him a winter project!!

Thanks .. Jump Safe!

Kent

i purchased this same helmet for the same reasons you've stated. it's quite in freefall, and i don't care who thinks it's ugly! it's a good strong durable helmet and has 2 internal and external audible ports. that said, if i had just a smidgen of complaint, it would be that it does inhibit me from looking up when i collapse my slider sometimes, but vision is decent and not limited to an extreme that it can't be quickly acclaimated to. good luck.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

I bought a havok about 6 months ago, my first helmet, mostly for winter jumps and face-armor value. I LOVE the evil space fighter pilot looks, I get star wars jokes on a regular basis and as gear goes its one hell of a conversation piece. LOTS of people ask me about it...comfort, durability, peripheral vision, weight, etc. The highest praise I can give it is after I lock it down I forget I'm wearing it. LOADS of features...Durable as hell, impossible to open accidentally or pop open by itself. It doesn't have one single lock stop. it has 600 of them. Mine was a perfect fit right out of the box, did not need to bake it, and once locked on the fit is so perfect I could leave the chinstrap undone and it would stay on my head in a standfly. I've seen several people come down without their very expensive helmet/audible assemblies. Its impossible to remove the havok once it's locked down, period. I tried to take mine off with the visor down and it can't be done. Peripheral vision is so wide I never notice the edges, glasses fit with room to spare. Padding is ample and it makes winter jumping painless and eliminates the cold-air-blast nasal-snot-fountain effect commonly generated by extreme cold wind in face. With warm weather here I removed the lexan and went with tinted overglasses kroop goggles which fit under and through the faceframe like it was made for it, so I get the best of all options, great armor value, I can feel the breeze without choking on it and without the lexan in place I don't have to flip it up under canopy. The lexan DOES get chewed up awful fast even if you're anal about protecting it so the visibility goes to hell after awhile, you can't buy tinted ones for it and when I removed the lexan it revealed the edges which had been hidden under the rim of the opening, showing poor workmanship: the lexan had very obviously been cut out of a sheet, by hand, crudely, with a pair of scissors...there were small overcut marks wherever the cut changed direction. One of the bolt holes in the lens was misaligned when they assembled it and they corrected it by melting the hole to an oval with a soldering iron. I've done that a million times myself working with plastic and know what a hole looks like when you melt it wider that way....Its not even close to a problem, it just looks crude and I did not expect to find that kind of hackmanship in a manufactured high-end consumer product. My rigger quoted me 20$ a pop for new lenses. For that kind of work, I'll make my own replacements, tinted ones too, just by tracing the original. All in all its a damn near perfect piece of gear, good for any kind of skydiving, I've been freeflying with it since I started to learn to sit and stand and have zero issues with it. I think bonehead sat down and decided to build a serious lightweight fullface that eliminates every single major issue anyone has ever had with a fullface, from popping open due to a kick, popping open due to button wear, helmet coming off, poor peripheral vision, no glasses fitting under, insufficient audible ports/security, difficult lens replacement, every problem I've heard of with a fullface the havok has it licked already. Perfect 10 out of 10 score so long as you don't mind looking like you just stepped out of the cockpit of your beat up old 2472 fusion drive Rebel Fighter Craft. Expensive toy but worth the money and unlike every other 300$ helmet I read about, trouble-free. A very unusual and different piece of gear done right. Strange properties include the fact that most new havok owners become gripped by an irresistible cultural compulsion to put it on look in a mirror and say "luke I am your father" in a deep metallic voice. Note to first-time winter havok jumpers: the antifog solution Bonehead includes with the helmet does NOT work in subzero temperatures-use skier goggle antifog wax on both the lens (and the glasses you're wearing under it! :$ ) and you're good to go. Nuff said.
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

"Strange properties include the fact that most new havok owners become gripped by an irresistible cultural compulsion to put it on look in a mirror and say "luke I am your father" in a deep metallic voice. "

:) yes I will admit I did that:)
:P

There is one other 'big' reason buy a Havoc: It's sized for larger heads. A universal one-size-fits all (the majority of available helmets) actually only accepts forehead sizes to about 24". If I recall the Havoc goes to about 26". I've had mine for about 1 year and love it.
May The Force Be With You!

Once the velcro wears out and you need a new windscreen, back it goes to Skysystems for 90.00 plus shipping.
----------------------------------------------------------
You can get the wind screen and the velcro replaced for less then 30.00 if you want to do it yourself.
Dom

Thanks to all who posted. In did 1 RW jump and 2 FF jumps yesterday with my new Havoc!! This is an awesome helmet!!

"Luke .... I am your father" slipped out a few times!! LMAO

Jump Safe!!

Kent

(My thoughts and prayers to Rook, Missy , Family and friends) RIP Roger. :(