pst

Should a brand new canopy be taken terminal

Computers "learn" the best fuel trim to keep emmisions in line (at least the ones I work on) Im sure they do it for performance too. The computer learns how much air and fuel over it takes to keep the motor running at optimium performance whether it be economy or power.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I have heard that a brand new canopy, should be broken in with 10 - 15 hop and pops before taking it terminal. Is this true or is old stories since they now use pre streched lines.

I had heard the very same thing, so when buying my own gear, I asked my rigger about it. she said that this was true earlier, when the lines were made from different materiel, but is not needed any more with the modern stuff.

gree'z
chronistin

Chronistin
(Home @ http://www.fallschirmspringer.net/)

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the computer sets something maybe to the distributer or something that would effect the gas milage???? not really sure completely... I jsut remember reading something like that in my owners manual.
-yoshi

its not necessarily for engine break in now adays but more so to set the computer... if you srive the shiznit out of a car in the first several hundred miles the computer sets for its optimum gas milage at those speeds. if you drive normally then it will set for that.. the reason they say now not to drive like a bat out of hell is so in 6 months you're not wasting through gas like water when you ARE using cruise control... they dont usually say a speed not to go to, but not to take it over a certain rpm....(something like 3500 rpms as when I recently bought a new infinity g-35)
-yoshi

Now I have heard it allB|.
That information is certainly incorrect. The function of the computer(infinity or not) doesnt actually "set" anything in particular period regardless of any time period or time "breaking in the engine". Lets put this to rest so we can all sleep well tonight.When engines were produced many years back the only piston ring available was a cast iron or ductile iron ring. these rings had to be allowed several times to heat up to operating temperatures and be reduced or cooled of completely to "seat" the ring properly on the wall bore as well as seat the ring correctly in the piston groove. Also the bearing on the crankshaft were made of a lead babbitt and had to be poured into the block by melting lead into a ladle, and pouring into a mold made into the block. This lead had to be spun for several hours at low speed in order to set the correct tolerance so the oil would make the correct "wedge" between the crank journal and the main caps. The technology available today no longer permits us to take these steps as now 99% of all engines that roll of the assembly line are put together with a copper babbitt bearing and some sort of moly ring(plasma or str8 moly). Breaking in is no longer neccessary for these new style engine. Besides, you sure as hell dont see any of the top fuel guys breaking in there engines do you? No nascar guys breaking in theres. Just fire em, set timing, and hammer down.B|

"when I die, I want to go like my grandfather while im sleeping, not like the passengers riding in the car with me
Swoopster
A.S.S. #6 Future T.S.S holder