HSPScott

Mac Users

17in power g4 1 gb running imovie for tandems and passing the signal in "export" thru the cam to external DVD to burn in real time. And iphotos for stills. FCE and FCP is way over kill IMO 4 TDMs.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I have been thinking about using a real time burner for while now, but I am not sure about the front end quality of the DVD. Most stand alone burners I have seen dont allow you to have a front page as you get on normal DVD's.

FCE isnt overkill for tandems at all it allows better control of audio and titling IMHO, granted FCP is overkill, but I use it for other projects as well so tandems are realy just a 2ndry process.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

I bought a Mac off e-bay because I was tired of trying to get to grips with Premiere on my other laptop. Invested in a RAM upgrade. Misunderstood Apple's marketing and bought one with a CD burner/DVD player rather than a DVD burner, bought an external DVD burner and never got it to burn so I now play the edited video back to a TV through an S-VHS lead and record onto a DVD burner that way (and there is obviously a drop in quality). Having said that the MAC and its sotware are really good for making skydiving movies.

Use your wings Johnny....

passing the signal in "export" thru the cam to external DVD to burn in real time

Stratostar - I dont think I tried this when I was trying to burn to my external burner. Are you saying you play the final edited video back on the Mac, connected to the camera, with the camera connected to the external burner?

I have a lacie external dvd burner for that thing if you want it ? In the box $50.00 . I used it with my powerbook g-4 laptop until i got my new imac g-5.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Yes and if you lock the tape so it won't record it will ask you if you want to anyway, click yes and export it to your burner, we have never a gen. loss doing this. P.S. don't use an "s" cable firewire from mac and RCA from cam to DVD.

I don't know the brand, some wal-mart cheap crap for 99.00 bucks the DZ owns. I haven't spent the time or money to get my own yet. For any movies I might make (personal) the built in works great if you don't mind the wait.

Stratostar - I vaguely recall 2 ways of doing this but maybe you can help me out with a bit more detail. I guess you can 1) send the edited video back from the computer to the camera and re-record it on DV tape and then connect the DVD burner to the camera and record off there or 2) play back the edited video on the laptop through the camera to record on DVD (ie it passes through the camera and does not get re-recorded) on DV tape.

What connections are we talking about here? Firewire from laptop to DV-in on the camera, DV-out from camera to DVD burner by Firewire (assuming the camera has both DV in and out).

I remember when i did this with vhs tapes .I exported dv from my powerbook back to camera with a (tape wound all the way to the end ) this way it didn't record to to my dv tape, so this way it went thru the camera then to the vhs tape or dvd recorder . Worked great for me. Hope this helps.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Faster then playing thru a camera agian.

How do you figuare that? When you export the signal don't don't care if it pass out the camera or your "apple conection" it's not like the signal stops for a coffie break on the way out of the imovie to the camera to the dvd, it is a stright shot to the recorder and takes as long to record as it dose to export the the vid, however long your vid is is how long it takes to record.