Unstable

PD 7-cell advice

I understand that I should first contact the manufacturer for packing advice, and i already have, but I need some advice on packing my PD 7-cell, 193 ft^2.
I really fear a line-over malfunction. Maybe i've just seen too many of them. I do everything i can to keep all my lines down the middle of the pack job, and I put the canopy into the bag very carefully. However, this weekend i saw something done on a tandem canopy that i've never really seen before. After it was flakes and all the groups collected, the packer put a rubber band stow around the brake, D, & C lines, just a simple loop, with a rubber band wrapped around twice, nothing complicated, but it ensured that a line-over would NOT develope.
Is this an effective method to keep line groups collected on a sport canopy such as mine? ANY feedback would be greatly appreciated!

sds
Manhattan, KS

edited because i can't spell or even write in complete sentences. [:/]
=========Shaun ==========

You are doing the right thing by keeping all your lines neatly in the center of your pack job.
Sounds like your local tandem packer is transferring BASE technology to tandem packing. This is the first time I have heard of anyone using a "tailgate" on a skydiving rig. When I asked Troy (you know the co-owner of Basic Research) he discouraged me from installing tail-gates on skydiving canopies.

Not that I am very informed on tandem rigs, but I believe that "tail gates" are used fairly regularly on tandem canopies. I have never seen the brake stows used on a sport rig, but I have seen them on a handfull of tandem rigs... hey skygod7777 if your out there I know you know more about this than me as you pack tandems every weekend... any insights?
-yoshi

I understand that I should first contact the manufacturer for packing advice, and i already have, but I need some advice on packing my PD 7-cell, 193 ft^2.
I really fear a line-over malfunction. Maybe i've just seen too many of them.

Wow! I've seen 3 in ten years(line overs)...2 were
on PD 210 9 cells and one on a Phantom 26' reserve. I jumped an older 7 cell ( Cruiselite 220) and packed so messy for so long, I thought a mal was
next to impossible. I now jump a PD 210 9 cell( like the ones I saw the line overs on) and continue to pack like a mad man. I have never had a mal. I side pack( flat pack). The only trick I know and employ regularly is to keep tension on the lines!

I do everything i can to keep all my lines down the middle of the pack job, and I put the canopy into the bag very carefully. However, this weekend i saw something done on a tandem canopy that i've never really seen before. After it was flakes and all the groups collected, the packer put a rubber band stow around the brake, D, & C lines, just a simple loop, with a rubber band wrapped around twice, nothing complicated, but it ensured that a line-over would NOT develope.
Is this an effective method to keep line groups collected on a sport canopy such as mine? ANY feedback would be greatly appreciated!

sds
Manhattan, KS

edited because i can't spell or even write in complete sentences. [:/]

The line overs on the PD 210's resulted in cutaways
at 1500'...with jumpers landing their reserves close
to the target( no problem with that). The line over on the Phantom 26' was landable but the jumper decided to clear it( x-military)...and it worked.
So I say...stuff it in there dude!
...mike
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

The line overs on the PD 210's resulted in cutaways

See, but this is exactly what i WANT to avoid. ;)

Maybe i'm just getting obsessive compulsive about this. This morning I was packing at home, and I ended up starting over twice because I worried about line groupings and and once because risers fell out of being level with one another. Looking back on it, there was nothing wrong with my packjob, but I just worry too much. I should just shut up and stuff it in. :)
sds

See, but this is exactly what i WANT to avoid.

Maybe i'm just getting obsessive compulsive about this. This morning I was packing at home, and I ended up starting over twice because I worried about line groupings and and once because risers fell out of being level with one another. Looking back on it, there was nothing wrong with my packjob, but I just worry too much. I should just shut up and stuff it in.

Dude, chill out. I'm serious about that. It's packing, it isn't rocket science. If you are reasonably careful with your technique then the odds are in your favor that you'll be just fine. Next time you are at the DZ, look around at other people packing. It's likely that you'll see people taking less care packing parachutes that are more likely to malfunction than yours. Remember, they were designed to open.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

;)Ask Jessie before you try anything like that. The old Jonathans incorporated a similar method, but I know of no other non-base canopy that packs as you indicated. Next time I'm around Manhattan I'll show you or Jessie a method that I use similar to PD's method. Or have Jessie give me a call and I'll explain it to him over the phone.

Blues,

J.E. Van Natt
Ozark MO
James 4:8

I may very well take you up on that offer. I asked jesse about a week ago and he really didint' know if it was a good idea or not. But on the other hand, i do have a good packing method, mayby i just need to relax and have more confidence and put it in the bag.
Next time you are in Manhattan, we should get in touch. I'm out every weekend.

thanx,
s. smith