dmcoco84

Audio from Video

Anyone know how to extract audio from video? Or the name of the software that can do so? Can't a piece of music anywhere and i figure it probably be easier to extra it from the video then spend more time trying to find it.

There is no audio in a video stream. :S

I guess you want to demultiplex. Google: demux or demultiplex.

Plug your camera into your DVR. Use the record function in the play/edit portion of your vid to record from the DVR. Capture as usual to your computer. Place the captured video onto an audio track OR place on an A/V track and delete the video...Tere you go!
Peace!
Jason
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

Plug your camera into your DVR. Use the record function in the play/edit portion of your vid to record from the DVR. Capture as usual to your computer. Place the captured video onto an audio track OR place on an A/V track and delete the video...Tere you go!
Peace!
Jason

Nice, thank you! That makes getting if off easy. I hadn't figured that out yet. Wasn't sure if I needed to buy something special or if I could just get it off with a firewire cable from dvr to pc.

I have this DVR- Dualtuner http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/dct6208.asp

Same quality doing it this way as transfering by wire?

Coco

OR...you input to the component (you know, the red, white, yellow....or in this case just the red and white;)) from the DVR to your camera? You shouldn't have any noticeable loss in quality. Then cap to your computer as normal.
You don't need the firewire....the camera will generally figure out whe the signal is coming from (which I/O) and record when you tell it to.
PEACE!
Jason
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

Actually, the yellow signifies composite, not component. Component isRGB/Red, Green, Blue.
I'd be very surprised if he had component in the computer.
Aside from that...
Coco, what version of Windows are you running? It may be that the DVHS drivers aren't installed, or tha your 1394 card isn't functioning correctly, the cable could be bad, or that your camera's 1394 output isn't working.
What:
-Camera brand/model?
-Computer cards/ports available?

They're all RCA plugs to me...lol, I stand corrected. Guess if I want to help I should use correct terminology...I think his first challenge is getting it off the DVR. Mine has a firewire port too, I can't capture off it though.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

If you're not capturing your HDV from the firewire port, how are you getting it into your computer? There are three options for getting media from an HDV camcorder:
-Firewire/1394/ilink (They're all the same)
-Component out (This is HD, so you need a fairly high end capture card)
-Composite out (this is always SD on all camcorders, HD cannot be carried over composite, which is the single yellow RCA on most systems)

Some have HDMI output, but currently only Black Magic Design and Convergent Design make an HDMI card, ranging from 300.00 to 1100.00 in cost.

Regardless, plug the Firewire cable into you computer and see if it makes the cursor blink. If it does, this is the first indication your cable and Firewire port are good, the next step is finding out why the drivers aren't connecting. If your Firewire card isn't OHCI (Open Host Controller Interface) then your computer won't read from the camera.
One of these links might be of help (requires free reg to read, however).

I think we have overlapping conversations here. I capture with firewire. I was just trying to help the above poster with a method for getting A/V off of his DVR and into his computer. I suggested that he use the composite I/O on his camcorder to capture from his DVR. He tried to use the firewire port on his DVR without success.
My question to you was about capturing video and ending up with a file with an .m2t extension verses an .avi. I'm just starting out on the road to HDV so am not as familiar with it. Sorry for being confusing.
PEACE!
Jason
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

Coco, what version of Windows are you running? It may be that the DVHS drivers aren't installed, or tha your 1394 card isn't functioning correctly, the cable could be bad, or that your camera's 1394 output isn't working.
What:
-Camera brand/model?
-Computer cards/ports available?

I have a pc1000, Win XP pro. On the DVR there is a ethernet, 2 fire wire and a USP in the front.

Coco

Fire wire cable work fine. 4 pin to 6pin. I just took video from cam to computer w/o problem. But still can't get the vid to show up in record control when trying to take it off the dvr.

What about 6pin to 6pin doing from dvr right to my computer?

Coco

Your DVR doesn't have a 6 pin connection, does it?

What were ya thinking?

BTW Thank you for the RCA ida. I got the small clip off using the rca outputs on the DVR and it recorded nicely on my camera.

But I am still needing to get the full files off. Doing it that way is a pain for long vids.

C

Firewire won't be any fast for transfering to your camera. Still has to record at "live" speed. I have a tivo which is connected to my network so I can transfer recordings straight to my computer, but it's still very slow... only a little faster than real time.

Dave

No I don't want to transfer onto my camera. That was just to get a short clip. I still don't know how to get full files from my DVR to my PC. ]

Will a 6pin to 6pin firewire work? Are the files encoded. Whats the deal? The thread kinda went off track. :P

C

Your DVR doesn't have a 6 pin connection, does it?

What were ya thinking?

C

Firewire comes in two connection flavors. 6pin and 4 pin. There are no cameras usable for skydiving (that I'm aware of) that use 6pin connectors. JVC HD100/200 series do, but no way are you putting one of those on your head. Same with XDCAM.

Anyway...
Firewire is just a real-time transfer protocol, like SCSI, parallel, USB, serial, etc.
I think you're looking at a Y/C connector and calling it "6 pin."

I'm not sure how to tell you more about firewire input. It sounds like your camera may have a bad connection, your computer has a bad card, or you have a bad cable. Firewire transfer is pretty straightforward and simple, as the various posts have suggested.
When you plug in your firewire cable to either computer or camera, does your computer "ding?"
if so, the computer sees the connection. If not, it might not be seeing the connection.
OS information, card information, camera model information would all be helpful here.