mr2mk1g

first set of wings

Don't reach through the wings to pull. Make sure you are pulling in a way to keep crap from getting entangled. What was told to me is to be sure to be reaching "out and around" to get to the hackey, not just going right for it.

Make sure you are hooking them up right - work with some local experienced guys.

Have a plan for your pre-jump checks and follow it. Some things it will help prevent, which you will do anyways; jumping w/o swoop cords on, jumping with wings unclipped, jumping with uneven wings/swoopcords.

Camera wings dont mean, go up and jump with an RW group on your first wing jump because you're a camera guy now. I think it is important to do at least 1 jump solo to get used to them. Maybe even w/o any camera on!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Any tips for things to watch for on my first few jumps with camera wings? I'm thinking drills/common problems/do's/don't do's etc...

Cheers

Don't reach under the leg attachment point to get to your BOC. That's bad. I'm only mentioning it because the accident that resulted from that action is the reason that I'm planning on getting RSL releases on mine, unless someone here has a good argument against that idea.

Others have given you some good suggestions already, you should def. listen to those.
When i first got wings i was trying to slow down by extending my arms wide to use the wing. Someone told me to keep my arms in the position like if i was doing a pushup, want to slow down? push against the air, want to speed up, tuck your elbows in and or "lower yourself down" Best advice ever for me, ymmv. Have fun.B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Don't reach under the leg attachment point to get to your BOC. That's bad. I'm only mentioning it because the accident that resulted from that action is the reason that I'm planning on getting RSL releases on mine, unless someone here has a good argument against that idea.

Do you want RSL shackles so that you can release the wing if you pull your PC through the wing? If so, I think that is a bad idea. My personal opinion: If you end up with the PC through the wing, treat it like the horseshoe that it is and get your reserve out. This is a high speed malfunction, there is no time to waste.

Any tips for things to watch for on my first few jumps with camera wings? I'm thinking drills/common problems/do's/don't do's etc...

Cheers

My only argument against that is that in your case you don't need RSL shackles.. you need a couple more jumps and focus on deploying your parachute properly before strapping yourself into camera wings..

Do you want RSL shackles so that you can release the wing if you pull your PC through the wing? If so, I think that is a bad idea. My personal opinion: If you end up with the PC through the wing, treat it like the horseshoe that it is and get your reserve out. This is a high speed malfunction, there is no time to waste.

This is true. Best to get something over your head quickly, but I think the RSL idea is a good one simply because it seems like the quickest way to release that entanglement point. I've got some other concerns but I don't want to hijack the thread.

My only argument against that is that in your case you don't need RSL shackles.. you need a couple more jumps and focus on deploying your parachute properly before strapping yourself into camera wings..

Admittedly I'm thinking ahead on this one. No plans for any immediate large wing purchases until a get quite a few more jumps in. I've got some small zip off wings that give me something to play with now, while I'm working on my exits and positioning with small groups.

my first few jumps with camera wings

PRCPs baby. Believe it. If you have never reached for a PC with a wing on your opposite arm, try it high first. It is different.

Also, pull high the first few times so you can figure out any restrictions your wings present while reaching for your brakes. Make sure you can reach both before releasing either. Then pull high for all your other camera suit jumps so you have time to deal with any entanglement issues.

Also, discuss, plan, and rehearse new emergency prcodures that include jettisoning your potentially snagged helmet before going for your reserve ripcord (if needed). Personally I don't connect my RSL when jumping camera for this reason.

Plus all the other recommendations.

I want to add something that wasn't mentioned. Depending on your past skydiving discipline, think about the slightly to greater burble you wings create. I made about 10 jumps on a wing jacket, and the tenth one caught me off guard because I had a lazy throw out. Follow the advice above about reaching, and when you thro, thro like you mean it, don't be lazy about it or the PC may hesitate and you may be reaching for handles like I was. Luckily I looked over my shoulder changing the burble enough to free the PC.
Brad

Cheers guys, mostly confirming what I'd planned. And thanks Dave - knew I could count on you.

Do people collapse their wings when they pitch... which seems logical given the burble etc... but I've heard of people going big to minimise opening shock etc...

I've heard about as many opinions as camera flyers, so you'll have to find out what works for you.

Personally, I jump with a heavy helmet, I only jump camera, and I don't have a strong neck. So I throw out, get very big, and when I feel stuff start coming off my back I reach in and grab the chin of my helmet. (If you reach in too soon you can start going head down and start picking up speed. Plus there is a bigger pendulum effect.) The only times I don't do that are with a very few packers that I know very well (in which case I just stay big till it starts inflating).

Actual performance may vary...

Personally, I jump with a heavy helmet, I only jump camera, and I don't have a strong neck. So I throw out, get very big, and when I feel stuff start coming off my back I reach in and grab the chin of my helmet.

There is another way to tackle this problem (I jump an FTP loaded with too much heavy and expensive stuff as well Edit: and I'd love to add more!!!).

When my pilot is gone I start kind of a transition where I get my back, neck and head in vertical position, and aligned with eachother. This way the shock will be absorbed by your spine, and you won't get the pendulum-thing anymore (and the pendulum effect can cause serious pain on hard openings)
I also NEVER look at my canopy opening, I just look at the horizon and feel what my canopy is doing.

You might want to give this a go, it works really well for me (been doing that for 700 jumps now)

I usually jump Stiletto's and Katana's loaded between 1.4 and 1.7, for your reference.
"Don't make me come down there" - God.

My site:http://www.skystudio.nl/video.html
Some of my vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/TomSkyStudio