WatchYourStep

XTi Problem

I got my XTi about 2 weeks ago and love it. I haven't jumped it yet but have been taking a ton of pictures on the ground.

I've noticed that on some of the recent pictures I have a few specs of stuff in the photo. When looking at the lens it's clean. Any suggestions?

See attached picture you can see small dots throughout the sky. Thoughts?

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Yep brand new from B&H.

I thought the XTi's have the self cleaning sensor?

When I look into the body there is a little tilted mirror/piece of glass. Can I lightly blow on it to make sure no dust is on that surface?

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

that's the mirror that you look through the lens with while focusing, etc... dust in there could mean dust on the sensor too, but the sensor sits behind the mirror as well as shutter. It's only exposed when you push the shutter release. not sure if the XTi has a mirror lock-up function like nikons to see what may be in there.

you could always just have dust or tiny specs of dried whatever on either end of your lens that only show up in a shot like you posted.

in my experience lens dirt, gunk, dust, you name it... stands out the most when you are shooting evenly colored backgrounds, into the sun or other bright light.

Matt

Shoot a neutral surface to check it out. I usually shoot an out of focus sky to see if I can see specs. If you have them, proceed carefully and RTFM. There should be a mirror lock-up function. (BTW, dust on the mirror won't show up on images, the mirror isn't in the path when you actually "expose" the sensor.) DO NOT USE COMPRESSED AIR ON THE SENSOR. I don't know why, but the manufacturers are adamant about that. Try a hand (bulb) blower. If that doesn't work, there are sensor brushes, but again, be VERY CAREFUL!. You could do damage to your camera.

I jump a 20D which doesn't have an ultra-sonic cleaner. But I do change lenses very often (many time a weekend in the off-season) and dust comes with the territory. My understanding is that the XTi ultra-sonically self-cleans the sensor, but it simply shakes the dust off the sensor and it still remains in the camera body where any shaking (like skydiving?) could put it right back on the sensor. If you get the chamber totally clean, and don't change lenses, I can't see how dust would get on the sensor again.

Don't ever blow into your camera! Even a gentle little blow will send tons of spit and humidity flying at the sensor!

Read your manual on the basics of cleaning your camera, but also use proper prevention to keep dust out of it in the first place. Always have something on the body of the camera, either a lens or a body cap.

When you swap lenses keep the camera facing down...helps keep dust from settling in, and on top of that every time you remove and add a lens the friction on the lens mount makes more dust, better to have it fall away than on your sensor.

If you get an air cannon (never compressed air) don't put the tip past the lens mount and have the camera point downward when you blast it out, and make sure you lock the mirror up when you do that...your sensor won't get very clean if you're blowing dust off your mirror...

If all that doesn't work you can take it to a shop to have it professionally cleaned...or if you're feeling particularly spunky you can pick up some eclipse fluid and some sensor swabs of the proper size and clean it yourself. Take heed though...if you do this and scratch your sensor you basically just made yourself a really snazzy looking paper weight!
Hope that helps...
Miami

If you get the chamber totally clean, and don't change lenses, I can't see how dust would get on the sensor again.

If you use a fixed lens, no. But a zoom lens, esp one that changes length when zooming, will get dust in there again.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The self-cleaning sensor thing isn't magic, like someone else said already. Probably why not all brands are selling it yet. But in your case it might also be damaged sensor, it looks to me like 2 pixels are dead but it's hard to tell in your pic. You may want to check that, and if so, return the camera ASAP.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

On the topic of sensor cleaning:

I have had to have it done once. I while knowing a ton about computers, cameras, and electronics was unwilling to clean my own sensor. If i screwed it up I'm out the camera. There is a camera shop in town that cleans them for $10. They have much more experience and take responsibility for it.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

$10 is cheap, one of my places here charges $50 and will take them 2-3 weeks. :S

I ruined mt 10D by scratching the sensor but later cleaned it with out an issue after I got PEC pads that did'nt have lint on them.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

$10 is cheap, one of my places here charges $50 and will take them 2-3 weeks. :S

I ruined mt 10D by scratching the sensor but later cleaned it with out an issue after I got PEC pads that did'nt have lint on them.

Yeah, $10 and they had it done in about an hour. I guess I am lucky with the local shop.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

The XTI has an ultrasonic cleaner that's supposed to vibrate the dust off the sensor at both start up and shut down. It's possible that yours is shut off or not working or that it's just some rather tenacious dust. You should have some software included with your camera that can map and digitally remove the stuff that the cleaner won't shake off. I have the software but haven't tried it yet.

The XTI has an ultrasonic cleaner that's supposed to vibrate the dust off the sensor at both start up and shut down. It's possible that yours is shut off or not working or that it's just some rather tenacious dust. You should have some software included with your camera that can map and digitally remove the stuff that the cleaner won't shake off. I have the software but haven't tried it yet.

The other highly likely probability especially with skydiving (have you jumped the camera yet?) is that it isn't a dust spot but a condensation/moisture spot which the ultrasonic cleaner wont do anything for.
~D

Canon released information a while back saying that there is a good possibility that there will be dust on the sensor straight out of the box

:S How'd they manage that? All new DSLR's i've had (eh, 5 so far) came out of the box clean and never heard of that before from other users either. I thought cameras get assembled in a cleanroom of some sort?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I honestly don't know about the assembly of them. It was on a review that I read. I assume as with anything, there is a possibility. Although I agree it shouldn''t happen, it's nice information to have and at least Canon released it. I haven't had that problem with their camera's though.
Brad

Just letting everyone know that I got back from Spring Break and took around 300 pictures without any issues.

None of them were skydiving, but here's what I was doing. I coach rowing, good times.