guscabana

HC7 Vibrations

So the HC5 is the answer?

Edited to add:

I just wanted to add that I was shooting in Beach AE mode, with a UV filter on the lens of the camcoder and one on the Raynox .5HD lens. Steadyshot off, conversion lens setting set to "wide", x.v. color on.

HC5/7 are 100% identical in terms of optical elements, stabilization, zoom. So, if you're getting jumpy vid (could someone post a clip, please?) with the HC7, you'll see it in the HC5, and HC3 as well.
I'm not a head-downer, but did badly shoot a few sitflys over the weekend, including myself corking a couple times, didn't see it.
Just a suggestion; remove the Raynox for a jump, put a UV on, see what happens.

you dont' want a UV on the backside of a wide angle.
If you're getting the judder on a belly fly/tandem, I'd definitely be taking the cam back. Whether mounted to the inside door of a King, wrist mounted, belly mounted, or headworn, I've yet to see judder out of 2 HC7's and 3 HC5's. Doesn't mean it's not happening, just that in belly flight, it absolutely shouldn't be happening.

The HC5 has the same system, just turned off.
FWIW, there is a guy in Norway that has hacks for the HC1, FX1, HC5/7 to turn on all the 'missing' features. I've not done it, just see a lot of discussion and links to it on DVInfo.net.
From you second post, are you finding you're only having the stabilization issues in a sit? Not head down or belly?
Could you send me a short (5 secs) of raw m2t? I'd like to run PixelTrack on it to see if it can be pinpointed.

Would really like to hear about the HC7 performance from anyone else to see if they are encountering the same issues. Personally was hoping this camera to be a good solution to selecting a video recording device. As for now its doing a great job recording landings and taking stills. keep the information spreading.

I believe a believer, not a lie from a liar.

Damnit! You guys are scaring the crap out of me>:(. I have my brand new HC7 (upgrade from PC1000) in it's new box with the reworked helmet. I'll be jumping the hell out of it this weekend, in lot's of body positions. I'll give an update how it works for me....
Damn!
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

I am with WMF hear, just ordered the HC7 via a family member and then all these posts started cropping up while I am waiting for delivery.

My main questions are:

1) Is your HC7 plopped on top exposed to the elements without any protection? If so what are the results?

2) Is your camera plopped on top wearing a condom? If so what are the results?

3) Is your HC7 in a box and secured with padding? If so what are the results?

Unfortunately for me my FTP has been reworked for the box from cookie for the HC7, the plus is the camera hasn't arrived so switching to an HC5 might be a better option.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

I sent you a 6 sec trv900 ehh.. Hc7 video, in a 41 mb mail, I dont know if it will make it to you...
Im using, or I used to use it, in a flat top, with a condom, exact same set up with my previous hc1, same suit, same flying, different results...
Maybe a box will help, but I dont want to use a box.
Took me some jumps to see the shake, because its only happen in some turbulence positions...

I don't know much about camera set up and how they relate to turbulence issues but from seeing your profile picture and guessing thats your hc1 with still mount seems like the camera is pushed into a turbulence area from where its located on your helmet. though it would be still pushed into that area when going HeadDown. but again would like to hear from others, was hoping to hear form a person that just uses this device only as a top mount. (a simple lens cap instead of a build in one and this issue would be closed... IMHO - thanks manufacture ) Keep the knowledge up

I believe a believer, not a lie from a liar.

thats set up in the profile I used only for the world records, its a pain, big and heavy: D2x + D70 + HC1.
When Im talking about turbulences, is normally in a sit, when your head, the helmet and cameras moves, and the picture is moving around too, but shouldn't be blurred.
Again, using the HC1 for more than a year I dont have any problems, change it to HC7 and they start... thats mean something is wrong.

Ok...here's what I got.
Top mount in a box
Steadyshot - Off
Shutter @ 60
I/O ports Taped shut...NO Flutter in a sit
Take the tape off (even in a box)...Flutter like a Biotch

I like my CamEye...Maybe not enough to dump the camera. Are we sure the HC5 has no problems? Is this something you have tried and what were your results?
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

Just was watching some of my video from this weekend and noted that if the camera gets burbled in a Head down, it flutters BAD! Traveling over a sit fliers arm the image flutters but as soon as I pass through, it stabilizes immediately (Cam eye was in and no tape for that jump). Friday I'll be doing VRW all day. I plan to take it out of the box, tape every orifice ;) and put it through the ringer. Let me know what luck you have please.
PEACE!
Jason
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

Check This out...
I don't know if you're familiar with this box but I just modified one for someone else (I make my own...maybe I'll buy one of cookies) and it's a tight bastard. Minimal...very minimal openings to the air.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

So the HC5 is the answer?

Edited to add:

I just wanted to add that I was shooting in Beach AE mode, with a UV filter on the lens of the camcoder and one on the Raynox .5HD lens. Steadyshot off, conversion lens setting set to "wide", x.v. color on.

HC5/7 are 100% identical in terms of optical elements, stabilization, zoom. So, if you're getting jumpy vid (could someone post a clip, please?) with the HC7, you'll see it in the HC5, and HC3 as well.
I'm not a head-downer, but did badly shoot a few sitflys over the weekend, including myself corking a couple times, didn't see it.
Just a suggestion; remove the Raynox for a jump, put a UV on, see what happens.

According to the spec sheet I saw, the HC5 has Electronic Image Stabilization and the HC7 has Optical Image Stabilization.
Gravity Waits for No One.

Yes, the HC5 has EIS, HC7 has OIS, but they're internally the same. FWIW, I have a few of both. As I mentioned in the last post, once NAB is out of the way, I'll post settings with images/micro-tutorial if you will.
BTW, someone mentioned the HC5 hack to turn it into a 7; it's out there on a Netherlands site, I can't find the link at the moment. Bear in mind it will void your warranty. It's done via 1394 access.

Yes, the HC5 has EIS, HC7 has OIS, but they're internally the same. FWIW, I have a few of both. As I mentioned in the last post, once NAB is out of the way, I'll post settings with images/micro-tutorial if you will.
BTW, someone mentioned the HC5 hack to turn it into a 7; it's out there on a Netherlands site, I can't find the link at the moment. Bear in mind it will void your warranty. It's done via 1394 access.

Sweet! let me know when you find/test the hack. I might buy the HC5 instead if it works.
Gravity Waits for No One.