LouDiamond

Really Right Stuff

I know this thread is old, but..

I just got a great deal on Really Right Stuff L-bracket for my Canon. Now I need a B2LLR II quick release, but it costs $130!! You get what you pay for, but does anybody have one used for a good deal?
Thanks.

4DBill

even the B2-40 LR provided you are not jumping a X0D/1D style camera with large glass on it.

Thanks for the link. For B2-40, however, it does not have extra 2-holes to attach to the helmet top plate. Do you just Gorilla glue it, or drill more holes through the clamp? Thanks.

Check e-bay as they sometimes have some RRS gear for sale. FredMiranda.com is a REALLY good place for photo gear.

I have both the B-2LLR II and the smaller one but I also jump a 5D and appreciate the larger clamps versatility. Depending on what your set up is, the smaller one may suffice. At any rate, get the one with the holes already milled into it as the holes are recessed so screw heads sit flush and it'd be an expensive shame if you messed up drilling the holes.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

It has one hole in it, if you use lock washers and a threaded bolt through it to a nut on the bottom that was enough to keep it from twisting on a ball head I tried it on.

The two hole versions will ensure it can never twist which is a lot more secure.

Fredmiranda sells a lot of gear too. POTN is pretty much all Canon if you ever want used gear in the future.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

You've got to watch the Kirk plates in the RRS lever clamps. We've got one of those setups at the DZ (Kirk plate) and it is WAY more tension then the lever clamps are meant to hold since the Kirk clamps are about half a millimeter or more wider at the base. With the screw clamps its not an issue, with the lever clamps it is.

Have you found other lever Arca Swiss clamps that a good build?
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

I searched high and low for a used Really Right Stuff level base, but no luck, so I purchased a new one directly from the manufacturer (they only sell directly to the public with no dealers), for $120. Cough cough..
The whole set up for my xti, including the L-braket and the base turned out to be almost as much as the camera!
Oh well.. I don't believe I don't ever need another quick release system for the rest of the camera's life, and I am really looking forward to be able to switch from horizontal to/from vertical in a matter of seconds.

I will pass this on for the Portrait mounting, the XT/XTi bracket will pinch the release cable a lot so you might want to get a metal shop to take a 1/4 round over bit and notch out a groove for the shutter cable to go into. I talked to Joe about this when I got my XTi bracket and he said that they really never thought about the lower end bodies needing a shutter cable and being mounted that way. They changed the brackets moving forward to allow for this to happen better but the XT/XTi brackets have a slight issue that might need some work to make it easier on your setup.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

That's an issue with my 5Dm2 as well. To the point where sometimes the switch doesn't want to work.

which/who's switch are you using? Mine fits in between snug but no issues.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Call Joe, his shop guys were really good in verifying how much of the sidewall I was going to be able to machine out with out reducing the strength of the bracket and I was able to drop my concern about taking out too much and crushing the side wall in the clamp.

They said they were redesigning the L brackets to have a hole to route release cables out on future models when I spoke to them in April/May. I'm really surprised to hear the 5DM2 L bracket does not have the hole in it like they said they were looking at.

Also in talking to them I discussed having a lever bracket made that turned the other way to close if needed to minimize line snag points if I ever decided to do a few other mounting options and they offered to do a custom build for like $15 over normal for the work.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

I discussed having a lever bracket made that turned the other way to close if needed to minimize line snag points

Check out the lever set up on my helmet, I did just that on one of the levers. All you have to do is push the retaining pin out of the lever ,flip the lever and reinsert the pin.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have 2 switches, one is a cut up canon switch (it has the locking deal on it) & the other is just the plug..conceptus I think? They both push a little on the plug. Granted, I was also putting the rubber cover deal between the plug & the clamp at first....but no more. Not sure why the switch didn't work that one time but seems to work just fine now....though the switch issue has happened more than once. I can't really seem to nail it down.

Aside from that, I love the RRS setup. I have it on my tripod as well. Very solid.
my pics & stuff!

Actually on mine the plug is fine but the cable was being pinched in between the plate and the clamp.

I'm looking at grabbing a ball head from them at some point since its just so much smoother then any other one that I've tried.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com