GavTr0n

Canon HV10

I just jumped my new canon hv10. Image is very wobbly. Right now it is mounted on an L-bracket. I got feedback saying that air around it is causing the wobble. The wobble only is there in a sitfly position, headdown o.k. and belly ok. Going to try a box next weekend. I'll let you know and post a video if it gets better.

The one I saw being jumped with very-poor success, had the same wobble whether or not the image stabilizer was on or not, no matter what attitude he was flying. It sucked worst at freeflying, but really wasn't any better at wingsuiting. Too bad; it's the perfect size replacement for my PC 109.

Yes I couldn't agree more on size an intial features.

We have designed a box for this camera and the feedback from our customer after numerous tests in an enclosure is the same as all the feed back on this forum.

Cookie

Freefly footage from my HV-10 looked like it was taken by a cellphone during an earthquake after I drank too much soco. I haven't seen a single person say the camera worked for them. If canon fixed the stabilization problem, this would be an ideal freefly camera.

Somehow I feel a drop of super glue on the right place would do wonders on this camera.. Anyone interessted in trying? :P

As scary as that sounds, at some point it may come to something like this. The new sony camera that records to flash cards has optical image stabalization as well. If they stop making the kind of cameras that skydivers want with electronic stabalization it is going to come down to taking the thing apart and modifying it to disable that feature. Which really really sucks.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Yup.. If OIS is the problem, fixing the sensor permanently could work.. Problem is, noone wants to try it out on their brand new $1000 toy..

Here is a suggestion: Buy the camera and get the superduper-insurance (that will cover anything) Try the glue trick - if you fuck it up, run over the cam with your car a few times to cover all tracks then hand it in and get a new cam. Sell the new cam on ebay..

Who wants to be pioneers?

Yup.. If OIS is the problem, fixing the sensor permanently could work.. Problem is, noone wants to try it out on their brand new $1000 toy..

Here is a suggestion: Buy the camera and get the superduper-insurance (that will cover anything) Try the glue trick - if you fuck it up, run over the cam with your car a few times to cover all tracks then hand it in and get a new cam. Sell the new cam on ebay..

Who wants to be pioneers?

Me...where do I put the super glue?

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Freefly footage from my HV-10 looked like it was taken by a cellphone during an earthquake after I drank too much soco. I haven't seen a single person say the camera worked for them. If canon fixed the stabilization problem, this would be an ideal freefly camera.

I totally agree, Trev. It's the perfect size camera for side-mounting as a replacement for my PC 109 (or anyone elses PC 1000). I know more than a couple of people that have bought the camera praying it would work in freefall; it simply does not.

Mike

I have no idea.. Depends on the construction.. There are two ways of optical image stabilization that I know of, one is compensating movements using the sensor and the other is my moving the optics. Depending on whats used on the HV10, this movement needs to be restricted and fixed permanently (thats where the super glue comes in)

This is just a quick idea though, whether it will work I have no idea.. I'm sure there are people in here far more knowledgeable then me on this subject.. Even if you manage to disable the OIS, this may not fix the problems.

Mike

I have no idea.. Depends on the construction.. There are two ways of optical image stabilization that I know of, one is compensating movements using the sensor and the other is my moving the optics. Depending on whats used on the HV10, this movement needs to be restricted and fixed permanently (thats where the super glue comes in)

This is just a quick idea though, whether it will work I have no idea.. I'm sure there are people in here far more knowledgeable then me on this subject.. Even if you manage to disable the OIS, this may not fix the problems.

Yeah...I just found a used PC120 to replace the one that got dropped in the pond, so I'm just going to sell the HV10. I had the same issue as everyone else...it looks like an earthquake in freefall no matter what settings I used. It also had a horrible shake when you are just walking around as well.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

I have tried with OIS on and off, I tried the camera in a RAWA with a box made for it, and I tried it with the camera wrapped in saran wrap. No matter what I did, it's always the same. Earthquake look while sit flying, and not as bad while on belly or head down.
I talked to local repair guy about super gluing the magnets. He said that it would disable the ability for the camera to focus, and in doing so, send an error to the camera. He said this could make the camera not want to operate normally, if at all.
Has any one else made any progress?
--
Andy Ussach
Team Dirty Sanchez Ex-Vice President #38
Explosivo Rodriguez #1385, Muff Brother #3503, "Woody" Hellfish #646