SweCow

Canon EF-S 10-22mm Any good?

Zoom Super Wide Angle EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

I am considering this lens together with my new 400D.
Anyone of you have any experience with it?

I will use it for all different kinds of skydiving, but mostly for tandems...

Cheers
Peter

http://www.matthoover.com/gallery/skydiving-photos/

Every shot from the October, November, and December galleries were taken with this lens. The ones earlier than October are with the 350D kit lens.

10-22 is great. One of the lightest lenses you can buy, and there is virtually NO FISHEYE at any zoom level, which is amazing (unless of course you desire fisheye distortion). Look at the review on www.photozone.de to confirm this. The autofocus seems to work a lot better than it did on my kit lens. I also like the fact that the zoom element is internal; there is no external telescoping component to the lens.

All of my shots are at about 17 or 18mm.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I love my 10-22, one of my shots is in this last Parachutest, the two way sunset shot. Also the one attached, set at 10mm.

However, I just purchased the Sigma 15mm and can not wait to shot some sky jumps with it ;)

Stay safe,

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

I REALLY like my 10-22 ef-s lens.

I have not used it in jumping, but It occurs to me that that lens is a bit large for something that I want on my head. Another concern to this lens is that the lightweight construction means that it has this plastic mounting ring. I'm not sure that it would be the best thing to use for a camera in flight.

One of the greatest things about the 10-22 is the non-existence of a fisheye effect due to the amorphic elements.

Here is a example of something I've done with it.
The picture with the foot, I am about 2 inches from the climber's foot, and still not getting much distortion, even though the climber looks freakishly long.
http://www.michaelgregg.com/photo/7-30-05-climbing/normal/IMG_4427%20(1).JPG

The picture of me hitting that pocket makes the ground look like it's 20 feet away, even though I could hit the ground with my feet if I put my feet down.
http://www.michaelgregg.com/photo/7-30-05-climbing/normal/IMG_4435%20(1).JPG

I've had the 10-22 mounted to my XT for about a year. I think that it's a fantastic choice for any kind of flying as long as you can put up with the weight and bulk. I recently added Canon's lens hood & it seems alot larger than necessary & catches a ton of air. I think that the real strength of the lens is the lack of distiortion, even when VERY close to the subject. When I took the attached picture (@10mm) I was an arm's length away from the formation. The problem is that if for whatever reason you aren't able to get VERY close (within arms' length) your pictures will make it look like you're a mile away.
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.