pBASEtobe

Help with Copy Inhibit

Hi all,

I figured this might be a good place to ask this (although it's not skydiving related).

I've got a video on VHS I want to get onto DVD because the VHS tape is old and I think won't last much longer. I plugged my Sony MiniDV camera into the output of the VHS player, I hit play on the VHS and record on the Sony MiniDV camera. When I do this the words "Copy Inhibit" flash across the screen of the MiniDV and the recording stops. Anyone know of any way around this? All I want is to back this thing up before it dies on me.

Thanks!

Edit to add: My camera is a Sony TRV-17

the TRV17 has an INPUT?

If you say youve done it before it must but...
I have a TRV 19 and A TRV 22.

I did that before also (with my 22) when I tried it with the 19 it was no good. the 19 does not have an input.

is it possible that you had a different camera, or have you only used the TFV17?
My photos

My Videos

Yeah, you just use the cable with the RCA plugs (the one you'd use to play the video on a regular TV).

I think there's a setting in the menu of the camera that you have to turn on allowing DV In. It works great. I have used it to record stuff from TV and then captured it to my computer.

Sometimes, the VHS tape is so hammered that the copy inhibit circuit gets a message that the VHS is copyprotected when it's actually not.
You can run the tape through a TBC/Time Base Corrector, you can run it through an A2D (Analog to Digital converter) or you can try to adjust the tracking on the VHS to "fool" the copy inhibit funtion.

I've had success using the poor-man's alternative: lots of female-female RCA adapters and lots of RCA cables. I find that the copy inhibit falls out well before any considerable visual data does.

Another route is to connect your DV camera to your computer set up as a non-controllable device. Rather than recording the VHS footage to DV, just use the DV as a bridge and play the footage [VCR-RCA-DV-FW-NLE] without pressing record on the DV camera. Some cameras only check for copy protection once they've been told to record. The NLE will not receive this copy inhibit datum.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

try using the camcorder as a bridge only..
don't put a tape in it,,,, power it up in vcr mode...
rca cables out of the vhs deck and into the same port you output from the camera ( as you point out, the camcorder WILL accept that input from the vhs vcr).. Only then instead of trying to "record" the footage to mini dv,,,,,
run it right to the computer via a 4 pin to 1394 firewire cable..... Press play on the vhs deck,,, just keep the camera in vcr mode only, but don't press play, OR record... and bring up your computer software which captures video footage in real time...
I have had success with this approach and use a Dell dimension 9150...it works with a direct to disc program called SONIC.... then I CAN duplicate the original dvd as many times as i want...
of course that would be with a Non-protected VHS tape ,, to begin with..... Hopefully that can work for you.... Now if the VHS tape was recorded with some type of anti-copy protection, it may or may not work, since the copy inhibit signal is coming initially from the vhs tape, not the camcorder.... ( I think :S )

good luck.
jmy............ o[:-)