phoenixlpr

Solid state recorder

Plus you wouldn't be able to use a cameye or most of the editing software.

It records to MPG4, a format most applications (Final Cut/Premiere etc) support.

The downside is that you're already starting with (probably heavily) compressed source material..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

The downside is that you're already starting with (probably heavily) compressed source material..

miniDV is using compression too.

I know, but it doesnt compare to the amount of dataloss you usualy see in mp4 clips ment for PSP (and other portable devices with small screens):P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I know, but it doesnt compare to the amount of dataloss you usualy see in mp4 clips ment for PSP (and other portable devices with small screens):P

What?!? :o you mean my ipod doesn't show high quality video as advertised?!? :S

:D:D:D

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Even the highest quality sample (VGA 640x480 - Superfine) has smudgy colours in a pretty much static shot.

Its definately not bad quality, but the 4km 240V extention-cord you'd need would definately make it a hassle to take it along on a skydive:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

According to the specs max data rate is 2Mbit/s.
That's around 0,25 Mbytes/s.
MiniDV is 3.36Mbytes per sec., roughly 13 times more.
With that amount of compression, quality will be just a little bit lower B|

Cheers,

Vale

According to the specs max data rate is 2Mbit/s.
That's around 0,25 Mbytes/s.
MiniDV is 3.36Mbytes per sec., roughly 13 times more.
With that amount of compression, quality will be just a little bit lower Cool

Comparing apples and oranges?
MPEG2 vs MPEG4?

I'm not a cameraflier yet.

I recall a past post of someone ordering one of these http://www.chasecam.com/ , but never saw any review. Looks like a good compromise between the low-end MP4 recorders and the high-end like from Fast Forward Video.www.ffv.com. The mini DVR Pro was something I was interested in trying with a bullet cam, until I found out the thing was $3500 plus the cost of Flash Card memory.

Even the highest quality sample (VGA 640x480 - Superfine) has smudgy colours in a pretty much static shot.:P

I thought the sample video source material was an interesting choice. It simultaneously shows the one of the easiest things to compress, a big solid evenly lit color field, and one of the toughest, a constantly moving color gradient.

The big solid field ensures that there's plently of bandwidth for the spokesmodel to move around a bit and not look too crappy, but . . .

Holy crap! Look at the banding in the moving gradient! Big blocks of color flashing on and off.

BTW, guys, in your pseudo comparison of miniDV to whatever the hell this is you've left out another important aspect . . . uh . . . the aspect ratio of the pixels. miniDV is 720x480 non-square pixels and this thing is 640x480 square pixels. So even at the very best quality setting possible, the device is throwing away a certain amount of resolution right from the beginning -- even before compression begins.

It's interesting to see where all this is going, but for right now, I still don't think this is it. It may have some interesting uses, but considering all the factors of buying a lipstick camera, power supply and kludging all of it together, I think you'd be better off by just buying a miniDV camera; you'd end up with vastly superior video quality too.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It may have some interesting uses, but considering all the factors of buying a lipstick camera, power supply and kludging all of it together, I think you'd be better off by just buying a miniDV camera; you'd end up with vastly superior video quality too.

I have a bullet cam already.

It's not so easy to find a suitable, cheap, Sony miniDV camcorder anyway.