Shyandinnocent

350D in low light conditions

Couldn't find other threads about this, so sorry if doubling up.
A coupla times now, I have had to do tandem vids in low light conditions (i.e. late afternoon). The pictures don't come out very well, very dark and blurry... Hate to disappoint the punters, so want to find out what others do.

I have a 350D with the kit lens. I have tried to use TV and 1/200, AV and small apparatus, P with ISO set to 200 or 400. I have not tried the kit flash, because I don't want to cut holes in my wetsuit condom unless I have to.

Any adice out there?
Thanks!

It's never too late for a low turn!

Perhaps not your problem, but there are situations when the sun is really low and behind you and when light comes thru the viewfinder and irritates the exposure sensor.
It is best to cover the viewfinder in this case.

Also, I am interested in best exposure settings in low light conditions (20D)

alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de

Well, you have some trade offs:
A long exposure gives you motion blur, an open aperture gives you a short focus depth and high sensitivity (high ISO setting) gives you noise in the picture. Getting more light from a flash makes the background darker.

A better lens can let through more light, but it will also shorten the focus depth. If you want the ground and the passenger in focus, you're best off with a flash if increasing the ISO setting isn't enough or you want to avoid the noise it brings. But up to ISO-400 on the 350D isn't that noisy in my opinion.

Try Program mode, but shift the setting to where your aperture is as wide as possible (would be f/3.5 on the kit lens, I believe). You could also use Av and open it all the way up. Using the popup flash wouldn't hurt either.

ISO 400 or 800 won't hurt you as long as you get a good exposure - it's underexposure that gives so much noise in the darker areas, usually.

Good luck!!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

A better lens can let through more light, but it will also shorten the focus depth.

Any lens is better than the kit lens. My first advice would be to replace that piece of plastic junk. :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Try Program mode, but shift the setting to where your aperture is as wide as possible (would be f/3.5 on the kit lens, I believe). You could also use Av and open it all the way up. Using the popup flash wouldn't hurt either.

ISO 400 or 800 won't hurt you as long as you get a good exposure - it's underexposure that gives so much noise in the darker areas, usually.

Good luck!!

You are so sexxy when you talk all smart an shit.

Nina told me to write that.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun