Ragnarok

Looking in to setting up to shoot video...

I am looking at a Rawa without camera box and a Sony DCR SR-100.

I am going to mount the camera on top of the helmet. It will be able to capture stills while shooting video.

I have heard all the recommendations of when to start jumping the helmet and when to add the camera and so forth. I will Just jump the helmet for about 20 jumps until I get comfortable with it, then add the camera. I do not have 100 jumps yet, so all I am looking to do is simply capture video. I have alot of learning to do.

Would this be a good setup to start with?

The SR-100 is a hard drive based camera and is not really suited for skydiving at all. USPA recommends at least 200 jumps and C licence before you jump a camera. That is the MINIMUM I would ever recommend. If you have really done your reseach then you will have discovered all this on your own already and should have figured out that your idea is not a good one and should be rethought from the ground up.

If you insist in going forward talk to the local camera flyers and your S&TA before you increase the risk factors with out even knowing what they are.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If you insist in going forward talk to the local camera flyers and your S&TA before you increasse the risk factors with out even knowing what they are.

To me, being a perfectionist, an even more compelling argument (though safety is a better one) to wait is that you can't possibly fly good enough with that many jumps (unless you're a tunnel rat) to even get presentable video. I wouldn't bother flying a camera unless I knew the video had the potential to be good.

What the world needs now... is another person in the plane with a camera on their head, gathering useless video.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Ok, good enough.

I was not looking to become an instant videographer, I just wanted a place to start looking at what it took to get started.

Ok, good enough.

I was not looking to become an instant videographer, I just wanted a place to start looking at what it took to get started.

fair enough..:|

well then THIS is a good place to start.
Just about Every question has already been asked, and all have been answered, some "ad infinitum"
No problem with asking...ANYthing..
only sometimes we might NOT like the answers..:S the subject of equipment is complicated,, Cameras change, models come and go, sometimes within the course of a year, Improvements seem to be constantly introduced. Costs change... some models are good for skydiving, some are not...etc. etc.

So it is fortunate, that
these forums are loaded with good advice, insight , suggestions, and tips. Many many posters here have Thousands of video/camera dives.... keep looking through the post threads. There is plenty which can be learned.....
Meanwhile, fine tune your "in the Air" abilities. For now, take pictures with your "minds' Eye".. Learn to move safely in the air, gain aerial awareness, and think toward the time when you may add a camera...;)
By then the prices might be lower and/or the quality better...
.......Delayed gratification can be very , very satisfyingB|;)In the sport of skydiving... Patience is rewarded :| Often , injuries are avoided.:|
Those who have a year or two experience, and who are the most recent "devotees" to a truly wonderful sport, merit the appreciation of all the more long term jumpers out here... For they are the new energy, new talent and new friends with whom we share the climb to altitude and our love of the sport. We welcome novice and intermediate sport jumpers. Those who are persuing licensing . But perhaps they should start thinking long term... years...
....Instead, (sometimes) they get so wrapped up in what they see around them , that the want to quickly get to that point, which took others sometimes dozens of years,,,
Look around at your dz.. see many people who have dedicated decades to the sport.?? I bet you Do. Perhaps some of your instructors. Long term...So consider leaving some accomplishments for later into your career.Build one layer of ability on another. go at a pace where you CAN learn, and then fine tune on every jump...whether it is Freefly, Flat Fly, Canopy piloting, Instructing, or Camera work... Learn carefully, be safe, grow your abilities
skydive softly, skydive often, skydive with friends
jmy...... A3914 D12122.....:)

Well, here is a bit of background. I jump at Quantum Leap. Rob Walsh was an amazing videographer, I would like to follow in his footsteps.

I also crashed my motorcycle 2 weeks ago. I have a bit if extra cash and have been looking at camcorders. I don't plan on jumping a camera until I am ready, I just wanted to get the camera ahead of time. Also, I have been looking at getting a second helmet, one that I would eventually be able to use as a camera helmet.

I understand that this is going to take time and jumps - which is why I won't be getting another motorcycle. I am going to devote the time and money that I spent on the bike to skydiving.

I have a bit if extra cash and have been looking at camcorders. I don't plan on jumping a camera until I am ready, I just wanted to get the camera ahead of time.

That's a bad idea for two reasons.

1. People never do that. If I had the time I would do a search and find the thread on here where a guy said the EXACT same thing. And then 2 weeks later says "hey I got my RAWA and PCxxx and am trying it out tomorrow!"

2. If you actually do manage to do as planned (buy a camera and wait to use it), that's foolish since technology and prices are ALWAYS changing in our favor. Whatever you get will always be outdated soon, so don't buy it until you're ready to use it.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

OTOH, actually learning to shoot video and/or stills before you start flying them, makes for better video and you'll probably be somewhat more relaxed as you are pretty sure you set the camera right....

I know a few camera flyers that have NO clue about videoing/photography they just use the same settings always because it works. However if you KNOW what you're doing you'll get better shots because you can adapt and be creative.

Just a personal gripe from someone who helps putting a skydiving mag together and edits other peeps video a lot ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

That's a good point too. I had no video experience when I got my DV camera, and had no real photo experience since high school years ago. But I read both manuals and also read a LOT on other (non-skydiving) photography websites and figured out enough in one week of research that I like to think my footage/photos are at least decent. :$ But if you're not the "crash course" type of person, then I guess you have a point about taking time to learn the equipment.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

First thing to do then is to get a camera that is freefall friendly, then shoot a dozen tapes on the ground and do another 200 jumps and that will teach you a lot about lighting, focus settings, etc. The jumps will increase your air awareness skills and help out in more ways then you can count. :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have looked at the Rawa helmet WITHOUT the camera box, mostly. When I am ready to think about attaching a camera to it, it will have the surfaces to do so. I would like to get a second helmet anyway. I think I can hold off on the video camera, though. No hurries there.

In any event I just wanted something to think about and research.