ReLLiK75

New Website....Comments/Critiques please

Hi all...I'm in the process of starting up a photography business on the side. I just got my webiste up and running and would appreciate some comments/critiques.

I'm a little short on photos right now, but that will change in the near future. Under the sports/action section you'll find a few pics I recently took out at Crosskeys. I've got a lot more, but need to do some PP on them before placing on the site.

Link to my website is in my sig block.

Thanks!
Wayne

Looks to me like it's optimized for higher resolution than I can run at work. Forces my browser to full screen (which I HATE), and then I still have to scroll left and right to see the whole page.

Smaller (or at least narrower) would be much better.

Looks nice though.

Dave

I'm running 1280x1024 and I'm still a bit short on resolution for the site. It might be a bit high in that regard.

I am 1400 x 1050 and its too much for me. most people run at 1024x768.

Also, yep... need to get rid of the maximize thing. If it was for any more than looking at it to give an opinion i would have never made it past the first page. Did you design this on a widescreen monitor?
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Thanks for all the comments. I went ahead and pulled the maximzie feature. Also good catch on the spelling--that's fixed. As for the size, yeah....i did design it on a 20" wide running at 1680x1050 so I guess the only thing I can do is either resize that splash panel to something much smaller or pull it all together and create an "Enter Page".

How do you all feel about those sites you go to and have to "Click to Enter the Site"?

I went ahead and pulled the maximzie feature.

Looks like it still maximises? Yeah, thats one thing to chase people away really really quickly. Mess with their browser windows. I really hate that.

...I guess the only thing I can do is either resize that splash panel to something much smaller or pull it all together and create an "Enter Page".

How do you all feel about those sites you go to and have to "Click to Enter the Site"?

Enter/welcome pages are a no-no. You want people to be able to see what you have to offer in the first glances at your site.

Also, you have sort of a 2-column setup. With a picture mosaic on the left side, and links to the gallery on the right. It isn't really clear what the site is about straight away, the mosaic is a decoration, but it's a bit distracting next to the other pics.
I suggest leaving the mosaic and putitng the short piece of intro text on the right, in bigger text (now it's so small it looks like a disclaimer or copyright notice) and then having either a lot smaller pics with links to the gallery or a big button/text, which takes you to the gallery.

Good luck!

Very nice pictures by the way.

Cheers,

Costyn.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

I love the simple layout. I have a widescreen monitot and it looks good... would'nt be so good on a standard monitor (which most people have, I'd guess).

I dont like adverts (but can understand why they're there).

The sample photos are great too.

Best of luck,

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome