linestretch

RAW issues

I'm just now trying to figure out how to work with RAW files. Everyone that uses them says it's the way to go....so can some of you PLEASE give me a run down of what you do and how you do it. I have a Canon 10D, open the files with Canon Digital Professional, and have photoshop 7 but it won't recognize the RAWs even with the plugin....not sure what I'm doing wrong.

thanx,
JJ
my pics & stuff!

Hi linestretch,

I shoot RAW 90% of the time. RAW is the way to go for many situations, but not all.

RAW files are very large. If you do a lot of burst shots you will only be able to do approx 6 to 8 shot bursts before the camera has to write the data to the card. (At least that is the way it is with mine) If you need 20 shot bursts, I suggest you go with .jpg.

Also data storage can quickly become an issue. My 4GB card will hold about 1,100 large .jpg files. The same card will only hold about 400 RAW files.

For viewing and converting RAW files, I use Adobe Bridge/Camera Raw which comes with Photoshop CS2. You can upgrade to PS CS2 for about $150.00. (BTW: Adobe Bridge/CR "Rocks" but it is a computer hog) I bought my upgrade from B&H Photo. Great price and service. http://www.bhphotovideo.com

If you would like a free RAW conversion program, I suggest RAW Essentials by Pixmantec. There is a video tutorial and download links at: http://pictureflow.fileburst.com/_Tutorials/RawShooter_premium/index.html

I would not bother to buy the RAW Essentials PRO ($99.00) as Adobe has just purchased Pixmantec and they will most likely be phasing it out.

Have Fun!
Baz

Use the DPP to open the pics and do initial level/curves adjustments... then save the file as a TIFF or PSD file and do the final work in PS.

Some ideas here.

What's the point in saving it as a TIFF? I thought the whole purpose of working on it in the RAW format was that you can manipulate the photo more. Can you still do the same with it being a TIFF?
my pics & stuff!

Use the DPP to open the pics and do initial level/curves adjustments... then save the file as a TIFF or PSD file and do the final work in PS.

Some ideas here.

What's the point in saving it as a TIFF? I thought the whole purpose of working on it in the RAW format was that you can manipulate the photo more. Can you still do the same with it being a TIFF?

The RAW file is the full image file from the camera, unchanged. It has to be converted to a PS-compatible file type (TIFF and PSD are recommended) to work on it in PS. Then, you save the final pic as a JPG after you've done your adjustments.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Some ideas here.

The RAW file is the full image file from the camera, unchanged. It has to be converted to a PS-compatible file type (TIFF and PSD are recommended) to work on it in PS. Then, you save the final pic as a JPG after you've done your adjustments.

I save my final work as a .psd file. I create a JPG to dump it out to the web and then I delete the jpg to save on storage space. I keep all my final work as .psd or tiff
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Canon's Digital Photo Pro is free from its web site, and it will handle all Canon's RAW files. Basicly you make the adjustments on the RAW file (saturation white balance, sharpness, contrast, and ect.) and then covert it to a JPG, TIFF, or whatever image file. If you don't like the result you can create a different (actually a verry different) looking image as long as you keep your RAW file.
-Laszlo- www.laszloimage.com

Some ideas here.

I save my final work as a .psd file. I create a JPG to dump it out to the web and then I delete the jpg to save on storage space. I keep all my final work as .psd or tiff

Yes, absolutely - I do the same. Do all my adjustments and save the .PSD file, then create a separate JPG for the web. I should have said "a separate jpg file" - thanks!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706