Hooknswoop

Patch Method

For the riggers: I have seen several methods of sewing a patch. How do you sew a patch? I can't include the diagrams (maybe I can get skycat to post them), but this is the best method I have seen so far.

* Note: Patch is sewn on the inside, make marks on inside of canopy

1. Identify the damage.
2. Mark out an area 1 ½ inches past all damage. This is your damage line.
3. With a hot knife, cut out patch 1 inch larger than damage line, so that it overlaps damage line by ½ inch on every side.
*Note: Square patches are easier to sew
4. On the canopy, start at any corner, count down 10 blocks (on damage line), and mark an “X”. This is your start mark on the canopy.
5. On the patch, start at any corner (if patch is square), and count down 14 blocks and over 4 blocks from the edge. This is your start mark on the patch.
6. Align both start marks up. Fold under 4 blocks on patch. *Make sure patch is on the INSIDE of the canopy.
7. Sink needle, moving it by hand.
8. Check alignment
9. Start sewing. Sew line should be no further than one block from the edge.
10. Sew all the way around the patch, turning under 4 blocks.
11. Turn fabric over. Mark 7 blocks from sew line. Cut 3 blocks diagonal.
12. Very carefully cut out damage. Put your hand on the inside between damage being cut out and good fabric so you don’t cut the wrong fabric.
13. Fold French Fell Seam and sew inside.
14. Inspect patch.

Hook

What's the rigger's name that does the canopy patching seminar at each PIA? Is it "Patches"? What is his method?

(I'm not a rigger, just one seriously curious mofo).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yup, Rags. The coolest man in the parachute industry.

I didn't even read hook's post. Rags had me making perfect free hand patches on my first shot at DeWolf's course. They were better than my pinned patches.

Now if I could only afford an industrial machine and table...;)

Ken

"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Yes,
I use a simplified version of Rag's method. I start by cutting the patch 5 inches bigger than the damage, then only mark the starting point. I start by sinking the needle into the first corner. If it is a large patch, then I may mark some of the other corners.
I have attended Rags' patching lecture at 5 of the last 6 PIA Symposia. Rags is a great teacher, great because he is always trying to learn from his students. At the last Symposium he was evening asking the audience to suggest alternative methods.

On the other hand, I was never good enough at math to be any good at the military patching technique.