Nigel1973

To lead or to peel on 4way / 8 way exits

Hey,

I just thought I would seek comment from the cameraflyers of the world on a couple of things I have been thinking about.

First one: to peel or to lead on exit. I've done a couple of thousand camera jumps and have always led the formation on 4 way and peeled on 8 way, However filming a national 4 way team last week that were exiting rather flat and coming straight back rather than launching out I started to peel. Since then I started to think whether it would be safer just to peel on both 4 way and 8 way. What do others think??

Also what type of lense are you guys and girls using for filming 4 way. I've always used a .42 tapped in to about a .5.

Everything's great with the footage, I just thought I'd ask what others think etc...

Cheers

Nigel

At my home DZ we jump a Pilatus Porter. Being a heavier guy i have found that with the low airspeed i peel both 4 way and 8 way and it seems to work.

However, jumping in a money meet recently at another DZ and out of a King Air really screwed me. I think that with the extra air speed i would like to lead , especially the four ways. I have a feeling that if we did it out of an Otter i would learn to lead too.

I jump a Kenko .45 and it seems to work for four and 8 way.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I peel after them on just about any video jump other than tandems. Can't always see the count, so I just hang on till they are on their way out. No possible way to be skunked that way. Then I'm already above them, so I just sink in a little and it works out great for me. Never missed a point.

USPA Strong T-I, AFF-I, Coach, Videographer/photographer.

I've discussed 4-way exits a few times with various people and my thoughts from several years ago as outlined HERE still hold true today.

For the most part, Teams and Coaches will almost always want a perfect leading exit. Unfortunately, that's not always possible due to the skill level of the team, the camera flyer or just the physics of how the damn thing is going to launch.

Typically, I'll lead nice little round formations such as a Meeker and try to get a semi-peel from things that are either long or have the tail flyer coming off the plane either early or with an emphasis on dragging the formation "down"; these are usually the "long" formations.

When the tail tries to drag the formation down or get off a little early, they have a tendancy to not launch away from the airplane at all, but rather swing out and then back under the airplane as they weather vane around their grips.

When I say semi-peel I don't mean to wait until the formation is entirely off the airplane, but rather waiting "just enough" so that if they all did leave at the same time, you wouldn't hit the last one. Usually this puts me at about the 3 o'clock position relative the the formation if you looked at it from the behind the aircraft. Of course, this also means they really need to launch -away- from the airplane. Generally speaking, the further a team launches away from the airplane the easier things are.

As for 8-way the only thing I find even half way reliable is the semi to full peel exit. Most 8-way doesn't launch the first formation directly, so the pressure isn't -quite- so high to get the perfect framing .001 seconds after "go" so the team can instantly key it. Leading an 8-way is pretty risky, in my book, since there is a HUGE emphasis on the tail SECTION to pull the formation down and you really don't want to get sucked into any part of that.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I had success with the peel exit in both formations a friend taughme something call super floater exit, wher you exit with the team going underneath the plane shooting the formation for below (takes great pictures) just need to get familiar with the position at exit to leg go on GO
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

Yeah it does give you really nice shots of the team, in act i even ended up on my back flying undr the team when i was learning to exit with a 4 way :$:D

I plan to do it again soon to get some stills of them, i doubt i'd do it in competition tho, i'll stick to getting the shot thanks

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky