pst

looking for second set of gear, need some advice

Hi all, I am looking for a new rig. I had 225 jumps, about a 150 under a Turbo Z 165, and 35 under a Sabre 135. I loved my Turbo Z and I learned a lot under it but I am not learning anything under it anymore so I am looking at downsizing. The Sabre is fun but I am looking for something a little more fun. I weigh 135 lbs so I am not loading it that much. I want something that has a nice glide ratio, turns fast cause I like to play under canopy and have a good time. But I want something that has a good flare so I don't have to be scared of the landings. I have also flown a Stiletto 135, and I liked the eliptical cause just like turns in the air you have to start and stop. There are so many canopies out there that I want to know what everyone out there thinks and suggests. Thanks

I suggest the saber2, its an all around nice canopy. Do some searches this has been talked about a lot. You can Call Kolla at Performance designs and arrange a demo of it also, so you can try it before you buy it.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

I would enjoy it for 50 jumps and then be bored of it.

Not if you take the time to really learn to fly it.

What exactly are you looking for out of your next canopy? What is it about the Sabre 135 that you don't like? What do you like to do under canopy? How do you like to land?

I was considering a Sabre 2 but I have been told by a lot of experienced skydivers that I would enjoy it for 50 jumps and then be bored of it.

Here is my opinion of the Saber2, taking into account I have over 2000 skydives, so I am a little experienced, and I jump a Velocity 90, and a 96, I also have a stilletto 107. I have jumped every size velocity sold except the 75. Now from that you can see I really enjoy high performance canopies, and I can honestly say I love the saber2, I can get more swoop out of a saber2 107 than I ever could out of my stilletto 107, The Saber2 openings are excellent, and it is a real easy canopy to pack. Also it isn't square, as someone mentioned, it is tapered. As far as an overall good canopy you cant go much better than a saber2. If I could trade my stilletto 107 for a saber2 I would, the only reason I haven't is because I would rather have 2 velocity 90's.
Dont believe my opinion about the saber2? Call PD tomorrow, arrange a demo and try it out. If you dont like it, then look for something else. But you should be very happy with it. With the jump #'s you have this is a fine, safe canopy with a lot of potential, Remember most learning (canopy flying) is trial and error, so forgiving and responsive is a good thing to look for. Take your time, and believe me any canopy can be fun. I watch the Pd test jumpers all day, people like Vladi Pesa, and Rikster Powell who all jump tiny Velocitys, have a ball jumping a whetever 190-210-or even a 120. It's not the canopy as much as how you fly it, if your bored of a canopy after 50 jump's then its your learning curve, not the canopy. Most of all be carefull, its better to take 6 month's of learning to do something, than to spend 6 months wishing you had.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Not to be a jerk, but I have serious doubts that with 150 jumps on it you're "not learning anything under it (Turbo Z) anymore". If you aren't, it's because of you, not the canopy. It takes several hundred jumps on anything before you're really ringing it out and several hundred more before it's not able to perform for you any more.

If you simply want to go faster for the sake of going faster, that's your decision, but please don't play the "I've outgrown this canopy card". I did about 400 jumps on a Turbo Z, and it (as with any canopy) can teach you a lot. You just need to work it harder...but you'll be glad you did in the long run!

Again, I'm not saying you shouldn't change canopies if you want to, that's up to you. But 150 jumps is hardly time to ring out a canopy.

Just my 2 cents.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

I was considering a Sabre 2 but I have been told by a lot of experienced skydivers that I would enjoy it for 50 jumps and then be bored of it.

I like the thought of being able to fly a fully elliptical canopy such as a Crossfire2 and/or a Samurai (and I'm sure one day I will fly an elliptical). But I have yet to learn everything I need to learn on my Sabre2. I've stood up 51 of 52 Sabre2 landings loaded @1.4:1 here in CO and the devil inside of me says that I'm ready for a smaller canopy. But as I said, I've yet to learn everything there is to know about my Sabre2 and it is the best canopy I've yet to fly (keeping in mind I'm still a youngster in the sport). I'm sure there are plenty of other good canopies out there for you as well, but don't listen to others who say you'll get bored with a Sabre2.

Just my 2 cents from a not-so-hard-core-experienced skydiver. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over