JayhawkJumper

Ruptured Disc in Neck.....

So I recently found out that I have a ruptured disc in my neck at C5-6 and another bulging disc. This is most likely the result of an extremely hard opening I had with a lot of other camera equipment on my head. This is my best guess since I haven't ever had any other injuries that made my neck even sore.

My question is, has anyone else ever had this problem or have a ruptured disc in their neck/back? My doctor advised me to stop skydiving while I go through physical therapy, but also advised me that any further trauma to my neck (which will always be weaker as a result of this) could lead to anything from severe disc rupture (lots of pain and surgery) to spinal cord injuries. Just wondering if anyone else has gone through anything similar to this?

"bulging" disks are not uncommon, they flair up and return to their normal state, some people have them and dont even know it. I have herniations in c5 c6 and c7 sometimes I have some discomfort and Ill slow down some but it doesnt stop me. I have a FTP with 2 video camera and an inverted still rebel XT. I don't know how bad your spine is, have you had an MRI, if not I would question the validity of your doctors diagnosis. However, if your condition is serious and potentially may require surgical intervention, ya might wanna take his advise. Good luck feel better

I did have an MRI, both doctors I talked to said that surgery would ABSOLUTELY not be necessary. And apparently a ruptured disc can heal, but it will always be weaker. I'm thinking I'll take some time off, do physical therapy, get another MRI, see how things are and hopefully get a spectre and get back in the air.

Five years ago, had the disc between C5-6 totally blow apart. Had MINOR problems with it for years after a bad water skiing fall. In hind sight, best guess was the original problem was a bulge. When it blew, I felt it go. Thought it was gonna be the usual irratation / stiff neck for 3-5 days, but, this time, it didn't go away. After two months, totally lost all strength in my left arm. Quick MRI later and C5 - 6 are fused. Didn't have to be a radiologist to read that MRI. It was just plain ugly. Used the allograft bone because it offered less / fewer complications. Recovery was not bad at all. Out of work for less than a week. Didn't jump for six months.

Hope this helps...

Quincy

In 2003, before I started jumping, I suffered two herniated discs in the C5-6 range. Within a week of the onset of the symptoms I started to suffer weakness in my left arm and loss of 90% of strength in my tricep on that arm. There was also a great deal of nerve pain involved. My forearm felt like it was going to explode at times.

I went to a very conservative neurosurgeon who immediatley scheduled me for surgery. I had a posterior approach discetomy. No fusion. I have a little residual pain and stiffness when jumping camera now and when i get slapped with a brisk opening, but for the most part no complications.

Surgeon told me 50% or more of the cases of bulging disk etc... heal themselves with antiimflamatories, therapy etc...

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

quincy, I'm guessing you back jumping again???

Ya, it sounds like the doc may have been being a tad dramatic, but I'm going to lay off jumping for now and do some therapy, then see where my disc is at. But I'm lucky its not a severe rupture, I am actually not in any pain at the moment and have no tingling/pain in my arms/legs. And I've been told that's a great sign.

sore neck is one of the many pleasures to deal with jumping cameras.
every year, once or twice bad opening hits hard. 800mg. ibuprofin, Ice, and rest. seems to be my recipe for healing. a ruptured disc seems serious......maybe more rest and better pack jobs is the prescription.
I am thanking my wrestling coach for all the neck bridgeing.
stay safe,
jimoke
The ground always, remembers where you are!