GeorgeKat

580EX - 20D - Settings?

Sorry if the question's been asked, I did a search before posting.

I'm looking for recommended settings for a 20D with 580EX for the camera and the flash. I've never used flash in FF before so I'd welcome any tips you care to offer. I have it connected via the remote cable and I have a battery pack connected to the flash.

One other thing; My set-up covers the IR thingy on the body of the flash. Will it still work OK?

G

It all depends on what you want to achieve with the flash.
do you want fill flash, or are you going to shoot it at sunset?

If you want fill flash, I usually set the flash to "high speed sync" (so it syncs up at higher shutterspeeds) and I set the flash exposure to +1/3 or +2/3

Set your camera to your normal exposure values and off you go..

For sunset / low light conditions.. I just set the camera for whatever I think I need, and let the flash help provide enough light for the photo.

Let me know if you have more specific questions..

Just curious

Are you using a battery pack, or just the batteries within the flash itself?

If just the batteries in the unit, how are they holding up during the course of the day (on average).

Fuzzy
Ambition / Ability: Know the difference.

I just bought this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=348419&is=REG&addedTroughType=search but I haven't used it yet so I don't know. I like the fact that it's light, easy to switch out the AA batteries (I'll use rechargables) and has a tripod type thumb-screw attachment. Has anyone used this unit?