Peej

How serious are Sony Error Codes (PC109)

Hi all,

I did a search for Error Codes which revealed nothing so i thought i'd put this out there.

Yesterday i snuck through to the DZ to film a very special 21st birthday tandem. I film my usual ground stuff, interviews, etc. Then i film a few things on the way to altitude and then the freefall.
However when i get down on the ground and try to film the landing my camera is mysteriously zoomed all the way in. (I film on infinity zoomed all the way out) And there's an E error code flashing on the screen. E61:01 iirc.

So i zoom the camera out again and it lets me record the landing ok. What happened was that right after exit the camera suddely started zooming in and out wildy. It's a litte over a year old and this has never happened before.

The video was salvageable, only because of the stuff i'd shot around the freefall and i had to just add a bunch of Lumis in and a few other effects.

I guess what i'm asking is how serious is this code, i called sony and they just say bring the camera in and we'll tell you, but it will take 8 to 10 days.

I have nationals starting this weekend.

I saw Jtval's post about his Sony Experience but was more interested in Anvil Brother's reply:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1788251;search_string=where%20to%20send%20my;#1788251

Hey says he justs hit reset and it's good to go. How do i do that and is it a temporary solution? I mean just to get me through nationals. Or should i ring up a mate and try and borrow a camera and just send the damn thing in?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Right, i'm off to read Lou's "all the little things" thread to try and make myself feel better.

Cheers

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Peej,

I have no idea what the error code would mean or how serious it is. However, you can not afford to have camera busts at nationals. The timing sucks, I know, but if I were you, I'd see if I could borrow another camera and take yours in. If you are REALLY nice to the person on the desk and explain the situation they MAY put it to the front of the line for you, possibly getting it done before the competition.

Blue Skies
Paul.

Thanks Paul, that's what i'm thinking. At this stage i feel i can't trust my camera and would hate to have that kind of stress added to my already overworked brain on Competition jumps.

I've never heard ofthat type of problem until now, but I've had the problem you referred to in your 1st post for a while before it died on me.

it kind of built up to failure. the reset thign worked for about a month, maybe 2, before the cam totally died on me.

the flat rate is true. It cost me $269 to get my camera fixed; even though it took three tries.

when you get your camera repaired you have 90(?) days to file a compliant. If you file it with in that 90(?) days they will fix it for free.

DISCLAIMER- the 90 day warranty may actually be 60 days, I forget. My problems were apparent upon first use, as I assume yours would be.
My photos

My Videos

Ok so i got a call from Sony about an hour ago and they know what's wrong with my camera.

They say that insulation around the ribbon cable that connects the lense to the other parts of the camera has has actually been rubbed through by friction. They say they've never seen this type of thig in this model of camera before.

They also said that unfortunately the ribbon cable doesn't come spare from the lense. So they can either charge me around $83 to re-insulate the cable or they can replace the whole lense at $250. The re-insulation is done with normal insulation tape and the techie said that's what he would do. If it doesn't last however and i have to bring it back in a few months, he says they won't charge me labour on replacing the lense.

Thanks to all for your advice. And thanks Sony.

I had the same problem on my PC109, happened about 2 mins before the 1st load of the day was about to take off - I got to sit on the ground [:/]

Found the reset button and it worked for 10 mins.

2nd load Im sitting in the plane before takeoff and it does it again so we taxi back and the TM has to take his handycam as Im of no use to him.

Anyway as I bought the camera on ebay and dont have any type of warrenty, I had to get on the internet and do a little research. I found a very interesting site with 'lots' other sony customers describing the same problem - E61 error message, zooms in all the time and stays out of focus. Most didnt have pc109's but they all sony cameras. Anyway heres the interesting bit ....... people had contacted sony and been told how much it will cost to fix, and one person writes how they heard of a fix which is.......... dropping there camera from a good height onto the lenses:o......I couldnt believe this but apperently it works!!!!! all the people on the forum are raving how it works and how happy they are that they didnt have to pay sony all the money

http://www.pechorin.com/m/2004/08/07/SONY_E6100_ERROR-217896.html

I didnt fancy dropping my camera onto its lenses just yet, so after reading the whole forum I found the error means there is a problem with the motor that controls the zoom (thats why a good thump to area around the lense fixes it) So instead I took the time to take the camera apart and blow on the area around the inside of the lense......it works perfectly now but I dont recommended taking it apart as springs and other bits popped out and it took me a frustrating two hours to get it back together.......

So if you get this error message the advice of people that have had the same problem and dont want to pay $$$ is drop it on its lense and it works perfectly. :S